Bathroom Refurbishment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm refurbishing our bathroom and I wanted to share my project and ideas with you.

This is what our bathroom looks like currently.

IMG_1027.jpg
IMG_1028.jpg

IMG_20160411_171510.jpg

Below is the current layout of the bathroom.

bathroom_layout_1.jpg

I could keep it like this, but I've drawn a new layout which I think will give the feeling of more space and provide more storage.

media-20160831-1.png

I'm hoping to move the toilet to the other side by drilling a new soil pipe hole and putting a new soil pipe following the directions of the joists. The toilet will be a wall hung toilet and I'm hoping to cut a hole for the toilet frame to sit in. I might have to pad the thickness of the wall out a bit if it is too thin to accommodate the toilet frame. Because the soil pipe will come out in a different location I will have to replace our cast iron soil pipe to accommodate the new position from the toilet.

I'm also planning to move the shower head to the other side of the room so that when the sun shines through the main window it's not interrupted by the shower screen.

Because of some of the quotes I've received being more than I want to spend I'm planning on carrying out most of the work myself, except the tiling, plastering and electrics.

I would love to know what your thoughts are and if you have any suggestions or advice you think might be useful.

Sponsored Links
The height of the joist is approximately 200mm and the width of the room is 2000mm. From what I've read a drop of about 44mm every meter is optimum. I calculated my drop at about 90mm (including half the width of the soil pipe from the toilet). That should give me just enough room.

Sponsored Links
I'm not planning to cut any holes into the joists. The soil pipe will be going in the same direction as the joists. Thanks for sharing the information anyway.

The grey area is just the outline for the stairs.

i would swap the bath and sink. with your set up you will inevitably have water sitting on the window ledge which will over time ingress and cause problems. just a thought...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back