Bathroom Rendering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gents,

My stepson and I have been creating a new bathroom from a bedroom in our 1930s bungalow. We have done a load of work including building two stud walls, one has green MR plasterboard on it as has the ceiling) and the other has 20mm jack-o-board and is going to be tanked as it will have the side of the bath against it, with the head of the bath against the external wall. The bath is a P shape one with a bath/shower mixer. The shower head bracket will be mounted on the external wall. The two walls the bath is against are being tiled floor to ceiling and the other two walls will be painted. I have put some pics below to assist.

Neither of us has any rendering experience but are competent and willing to try. I have found the very useful mix estimator spreadsheet on here and am comfortable with our understanding of using small dabs of render to get our verticals. My spread has suggested I use a framing square against the jack-o-boarded wall to get a nice 90 degree corner for the render on the external wall so the tiling works properly in this corner. Having mocked it up it seems my render will be thickest in this corner, getting thinner towards the external/internal corner on the left side, I guess my stud wall is not as true as it should be...

So my questions are:
  1. As the bricks are old will I need to scud/scratch/top coat or will scratch/top coat be sufficient? I will be brushing down the walls with a stiff brush and wetting them before applying any mix.
  2. How do I make sure the render on the external wall is tapered from side to side to get the 90 corner to its right hand side whilst making sure it is flat? I am going to buy a large framing square but that will only come 600 out of the corner and the wall is 2600 into the opposite corner.
  3. What is the best way of waterproofing the render on the external wall at the head of the bath? I am currently thinking of using a standard 5:1 mix with some waterproofing additive, maybe SBR, and running the tanking out about 1M from the corner over the new render.

External wall / Jack-o-board corner. Head of bath will be in this corner. The leccy cable is for an extractor fan which will be going in at high level over the shower head.
External-Jackoboard.jpg

External / Internal corner
External-Party.jpg

Internal / Stud wall corner

Party-Stud.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back