Internal Bathroom Wall is Not square.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The internal wall at the none tap end of the bath is not at a right-angle to the side wall of the house. This results in a gap of about half an inch between the internal wall and the bath on the wall side of the bath. The gap gets smaller as you move along the internal wall and by the time you get to about 90% of the width of the bath the gap is nonexistent.

A while ago I stated to get water coming down the kitchen wall. As it turned out there was no render on the walls for about the first 8 inches above the bath. There was just plaster which had blown. I scrapped off most of the plaster and then I removed the rest with a wire brush and washed the wall.

As I am going to re-tile the area I just put render on the wall so that it is flush with the plaster.

However, for the internal wall I am going to thicken the coating on the wall at the top of the bath and then tapper it off as I go up the wall. This will get rid of the gap.

The bottom 8 inches is easy because it is just the bare wall and I can render it but what do I do about the area above it that has been plastered.

Can I put a PVA mix on it and render it or do I have to remove the plaster and the apply more render to it or do I have to add more plaster to the wall

Robert

Sponsored Links
If it were my bathroom, I would apply thick coat of bonding (plaster) all the way to level the wall square where the tub edge meets the wall edge and take up that ugly gap, rendering is not necessary, not for internal walls any way. The water that leaked into your kitchen presumably came down from the bad seal along the bath tub, so pay more attention to making a good seal here rather than using render to stop the water getting down to kitchen below.

water may also have leaked from mixer taps if they don't seal well with the tub surface, and poorly sealed overflow vent and also a poor seal at the waste outlet S trap, so pay attention to all these things to avoid any leaks.

When you re-tile your bathroom, start tiling such that the tiles are laid below the top surface of the tub rim, as this will give you a better seal as most silicone based seals do not seal properly when applied to a bonded surface and if you had tiling going below the rim, the silicone seal will seal real good and won't leak that easily.

when making this seal, stuff plenty of silicone in the gap around the tub to wall tiles, clean surplus mess, and finally lay the final bead all around to look nice and tidy and perfect.

Rather than mess about with all that, why not batten it out nice and square and screw some hardiebacker/aquapanel to the front. Tile straight onto that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back