Finishing internal granite walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i've been renovating a 160 year old granite cottage and have removed the render from some of the internal walls as it was very soft and in poor condition.

I have removed all the internal lathe & plaster walls / ceilings and will be replacing with studwork, plaster board and skimmed. I will be insulating the internal walls.

On the exposed granite wall I have a large gable end chimney breast that I would like to clean up and use as a feature wall, either just repointing or plastering just to leave some of the quoins. From the internal face of the chimney brest to the external wall is approximately 7 foot. Will I need to use lime based product for finishing? If part or the wall is within a bathroom will this cause me problems because it is in a high moisture room?

On the other external walls I was thinking of battening out the walls, insulating the void and fixing plaster board that will be plastered. Will I experience any moisture problems behind the plaster board? Do I need to install vapor barrier? Should I use a product that will ensure the wall can still breath?

Just need some advice so I can move on without making some expensive mistakes.

Sponsored Links
so your going to cover the nice walls with plasterboard :eek:

Sponsored Links
mine are cob and are uneven so i have just used a thin layer of plaster applyed with a large paint brush. it holds it all together as it was falling apart in places. i did line one wall a while back but it just caused a damp problem

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back