Plastering an internal Cotswold stone wall

19 Oct 2015
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've just moved into a house with exposed Cotswold stone walls. It's lovely, but possible a bit much with every wall exposed. There is an internal wall (between living room and dining room) that I would like to cover over - could I use normal plaster or would I need lime plaster?

I know you should lime plaster external walls, but not sure about internal walls?

Sponsored Links
If this is an old building - how old?

Some stone walls were and are not meant to be rendered.

Most stone cottages didn't have DPC's in any of the walls.
Thanks for the response ree. The house was built in 1741, so you could say it was old! The wall stands between the living room and dining room. It is exposed on the living room side but is plastered (I believe plaster and lath) on the dining room side. No damp was brought up in the survey on that wall I don't believe it has been tanked.
Sponsored Links
If you are living in a listed property then most building work is a no-go without permission.

The odds are that you have plaster lath on the plastered side, & its doubtful that any remedial measures have been taken.
Plastering the other side could create an envelope that allows damp to rise?
The famous, or infamous, breathing process takes place in stone or unplastered walls of any kind and you would be prventing it.

By plastering the walls of old stone properties, even with permission, you are de-valuing the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local