Can I leave exposed Cotswold stone in the bathroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm currently chipping plaster off the walls in a room that will become the bathroom in my rather old house (built 1741). The wall I intend to have the bath on has some beautiful Cotswold stone that I would like to leave exposed if possible. I know the walls need to breath, so is there something I could coat the wall with which will stop damp penetrating? The bath would be in the 'splash zone'.

Sponsored Links
If you are chipping painted plaster off then the walls haven't been 'breathing' for God knows how long. Do you live in Chipping Camden or Chipping Norton?

Hi Joe-90. I live near Stroud. The plaster on this wall wasn't painted it was straight up lime plaster - although some of the other walls had been painted/whitewashed. And most of it didn't really need chipping, a stern glare saw most of it on the floor!

Clean off the wall as best you can - do it carefully to avoid scarring the stone. Dont use any grinding or chipping tools

I'd suggest not to use any kind of coating - in my limited experience, coatings on stone build up future difficulties, sometimes the difficulties can become exponential.

Sponsored Links
If this wall is un-insulated i.e. zero cavity and zero EWI then it is going to be a condensation nightmare. All of your damp problems are going to come from within the bathroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back