Plastering on old stone walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a rennovation project, an old stone farmhouse in Italy, no cavity but 3 foot plus deep walls which have never been pastered and are not good enough to leave exposed. Due to being constantly quoted "English" prices by Italian builders, I am considering plaster boarding to get a good finish prior to plastering but have been warned off this because of possible damp, caused by the cavity-less walls breathing. Has anyone had any previous experience with this type of problem?

Sponsored Links
Yes just finished converting an old cattle shed in south wales ,the walls were old stone work about 2 feet thick. I had to render every wall in the building it took about 3 scratch coats in some rooms to bring the walls out flat. Once every wall was rendered i then skimmed them all and even if i say so myself its a cracking job.

Either the way Brist's advise ( with sand and cement ) or baton the walls and dryline.

Drylining is NOT (repeat ) NOT one of my fav ways of plastering ( :mad: :evil: :rolleyes: spit spit ) but sometimes its the only way :cry:

Sponsored Links
Either the way Brist's advise ( with sand and cement ) or baton the walls and dryline.

Drylining is NOT (repeat ) NOT one of my fav ways of plastering ( :mad: :evil: :rolleyes: spit spit ) but sometimes its the only way :cry:

My big concerns are 1 - The time and cost associated with the sand cement (I have limited time to spend overseas, and the Italians will do the job, but at stupid prices) 2 - Damp issues - will plaster boarding create a problem. Any thoughts?

I've been restoring a similar property in France. Depending on the situation, we have either dry lined the walls using metal studding and plasterboard with a good thickness of glass fibre insulation between, or have used a sand /chalk render (1 of chalk to 4 of sand) with a thin plaster skim on top. This has worked well and where there are projecting stones in the wall, we have left them proud to give a rustic finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back