Wobbly lathe and plaster wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As a newbie to the site, please bear with me if I use incorrect terminology!

We live in a house built (we think!) in 1850 - an old stone farmhouse. We are in the process of doing up the top floor which was probably an attic originally. There is an internal wall which is between the staircase and one of the bedrooms and the plaster has blown in several places (lime plaster) and is crumbling. Beneath this is a lathe wall. Now, the whole wall bends slightly if you push it, which the wall on the opposite side of the staircase doesn't. My hubby is determined to have the wall pulled down and replaced with a stud wall as he says that the plaster will keep cracking on a wobbly wall and he doesn't want to keep paying for it to be mended. I am all for keeping original parts of the house and would prefer to repair the plaster if this is possible. But is my hubby right about the ongoing damage? And if we had it repaired, would it be better to use lime plaster, or doesn't it matter on an internal wall (I understand about using lime plaster on an external wall for the breathability, but I guess this isn't so vital on an internal wall?)

Sponsored Links
Just get it lined with heavy grade lining paper - that will be the most authentic repair ;)

Why dont you either hack all the old plaster off leave the laths on then put 12.5mm plaster board over the whole lot,I have done this in my own house on a few "wobbly " walls and it has firmed them up..

Lath and plaster walls often flex a little by their very nature, but the lime plaster accommodates the movement without cracking.

The most authentic repair would be to hack off the blown plaster and have replastered with lime plaster.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice. We actually went with the second option in the end, covering the lot in plasterboard - I know not authentic but it was the middle ground between me and my hubby and at least the original features are still underneath if anyone ever wants to repair in the future. It's not easy doing this job when we come from completely different view points!! But we're generally meeting in the middle. I have asked him a few times why he was happy to buy an old house....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back