Lathe & Plaster wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I am upgrading an old property - it has a partition wall thats an old style lathe and plaster which is wobbly and the ceilings have some old lining paper on.

Plasterer have said to remove skirting board and reboard over the lot and then just skim it. Don't waste time removing the lathe and plaster as it is a messy job.

Also is there some sort of shortage plaster?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Struggling a bit to see how overboarding will add much in terms of strength, it's hardly structural is it.

As for plaster shortage, no idea I'm afraid.

Maybe someone else will know better.

Plenty of multi finish where we live, no Bonding Coat plaster yet though.

North of the border plaster is scarce as hens teeth.
Some places charging 4 times pre covid prices.

Sponsored Links
how wobbly is wobbly?

about 1 sq metre. Moves about 1cm in and out.

Other parts the plaster is breaking off.

So all the parition walls need work.

The ceilings - well one ceiling the lining paper was removed and there quite a few cracks so plasterer has said dom't remove ceiling wallpaper and just reboard over.

i agree with your plasterer. how strong are the ceiling joists? is there any spring or sag in the ceiling?
I have in the past chopped the old mortar off these walls but left laths on and 10mm ply boarded then 10mm pb.
stiffens things up somewhat.

i agree with your plasterer. how strong are the ceiling joists? is there any spring or sag in the ceiling?
I have in the past chopped the old mortar off these walls but left laths on and 10mm ply boarded then 10mm pb.
stiffens things up somewhat.

Ceilings are solid just showing cracks. The retaining walls are ok - its just one dodgy partition wall upstairs that needs a total reboard.

They recommended that the walls which are decent to wash them and remove any old wallpaper glue and then a few coats of bonding - the more the better. Well they said use as much PVA bonding thats required until you spit on the wall and it slides down? (or is he pulling my leg)

So after the PVA Bonding goes on - what goes on next? Undercoat plaster or just multifinish?

For the wall that is reboarded and the ceilings do you use different plaster?

The whole house is getting new skirtingboards anwyway so not an issue removing them. I wonder how hard a job that is?

if your boarding the wall and ceilings . multifinish.
yes on the walls that just need skimming some use diluted pva , i either use neat pva with some sand in or blue grit.
after pva be sure to tape any cracks or imperfections and skim over .

if your boarding the wall and ceilings . multifinish.
yes on the walls that just need skimming some use diluted pva , i either use neat pva with some sand in or blue grit.
after pva be sure to tape any cracks or imperfections and skim over .

Brilliant thanks. So how long after putting on PVA should you start to skim? Depending on the plasterer schedule I may do the prep of putting the bonding on.

So If I use neat - will that be too sticky to roll on?

https://www.toolstation.com/everbuild-506-contractors-pva/p18844

Any of those PVA Bonding will do the job?

no. neat with a handfull of building sand in the tray and roll it on .
leave it dry , skim next day .
the everbuild stuff will do it.

It's not that bad as long as you can clear the room, put down something on the floor and have lots of ventilation to get the dust out ASAP.

Personally I'd take it all down - if your already getting plasterboard and getting a plasterer in - if you've got easy access to the stud wall you can sound insulate, put sockets in etc easily. And the room doesn't get unnecessarily smaller.

no. neat with a handfull of building sand in the tray and roll it on .
leave it dry , skim next day .
the everbuild stuff will do it.

Thanks again. So how long should I wait before calling in the decorators to paint over? I read it can take 4 weeks? If so then I may have to put the flooring down first before the paiting - not ideal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back