Need advice on plasterboarding a lath & plaster wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some walls with old lath and plaster where large areas of the plaster has detached from the laths.

I'm planning to have the old plaster removed and the walls redone with plasterboard. Is it necessary to remove the original laths, or can the plasterboard be attached over these?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Have a look at the laths, and see how they are set. If any are overlapped, then you'd have uneven plasterboard, so that may be the detemining factor. Leaving them there wouldn't cause an issue otherwise, and will save you time and hassle taking them off, and getting rid of them.

Your choise.

I removed a section of the plaster and the laths are overlapped.

My view was that this would mean that they would have to come off, but someone who came to give me a quote for the job said they didn't think this was necessary, even after I pointed out that the laths were overlapping. This didn't sound right to me, so I just wanted some other opinions on this.

If I take the laths off, I would need to fit horizontal noggins between the framework the laths are attached to. Can you advise me on what size these would normally be. Would something like 50 x 50mm be enough? and also what the spacing should be.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Good suggestion from Chappers, you'd only need to break off a few laths, and then go on with the plasterboard. You shouldn't need horozontal noggins, but you may have to cut the boards vertically to make sure they fit on the battens. But having said that, you may find that the laths give sufficient support, and are a sort of noggin in their own right.

I had a stud wall like this. I took off the plaster and lathes back to studwork, boarded it and got a plasterer in to skim.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back