Replacing L&P - but laths pass behind the wall....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing a Lath & Plaster wall with PB. I have stripped off the plaster to find that the laths in the corner of the room pass through to the next room. If I cut/remove these laths I imagine the plaster in the next room will be wrecked.

Other than going back in time and not starting, what is done in this situation? Should I:

a) Gently cut the laths in the corner and hope the plaster in the next room is sound enough to hold together?
b) Only plasterboard up to the last upright and render the remaining laths
c) Plasterboard the whole wall over the remaining laths (padding out the other uprights to keep the wall flat)?

:confused: :?:

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Have you got an alligator saw or a reciprecating saw? If so then you can saw these laths off with out shaking them about to much. You can also saw these laths off with a new sharp hand saw (best to use one that has 24TPI(teeth per inch) once you have got a few laths off then you can get your saw in and hold the laths steady as you gently cut then. But as alastaireid said, how close is the next stud to the corner? If it is over 3 or 4 inches away then you will have to put an upright in to catch the edge of your new p/board...

I'd go for option C,,, plasterboard over the remaining laths. I'm assuming you've removed a lot of the existing lath, but if you keep a few lengths of the old lath, and fix a piece vertically onto each upright/stud, (as a packer), you could then plasterboard right into the corner without cutting the lath going through into the next room. If you do go for plasterboard, use 12.5mm Duplex, (foil backed).

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the inputs.

alastairreid and roy c - The uprights are 14" centres, with the centre of the final upright ~7" from the corner. Having just poked the tape measure inside the cavity to find the next upright, it appears I may be lucky - The next upright is right in the corner of the next room, so any disturbed laths/keys are likely to be conceald by the wall.

roughcaster - Packing and boarding clearly sounds the least risky option. But given my comment above would you concur that cutting sounds reasonable?

Very grateful for the inputs gents.

I would cut the laths up to the wall and put another stud in to carry the sheet.

It looks from your measurements then Gotwood, as if you're going to be lucky enough to get away with cutting right up to the corner. As Roy said, cut the lath as gently as possible, and if it came to it, you could always put a new stud/post in, as Alastair suggested,, so plenty of advice around. The job sounds a good 'un. Go for it. ;)

Excellent, thank you gents.

Out of interest, why foil backed plaster board?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back