Repairing plaster in/on a lath/stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a wall, from which the plaster has come away from a part. It is a wall composed of laths and studs. I have read online that the recommended solution is to cut away the laths and insert plasterboard, fastened to two or more studs (and then plaster over it). I just wonder whether it is not also okay to just plaster over the laths again? You might argue that in 20 years it will fall apart again, but one might also argue that if I use the plasterboard solution, then in 20 years as different section of the wall will have fallen apart anyway?

Sponsored Links
How big an area are we talking about here, and have you plastered before.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
When patching a wall such as yours, i always prefer to plaster back onto the wooden lath, a much better job. But tomorrow,, guess what??? i'm patching a lath and plaster wall ,,,, honestly,,, and i'll take a digi cam to work with me, take a few pics, upload them tomorrow night, and explain to you what i'm doing. It's a smaller area than yours, but it'll give you an idea of the job,,, then just copy it.

Roughcaster.

Hi Username 132,
As promised,, a few pics that might be of use to you.

This pic shows the damaged area to be removed.

In these two, i'm cutting back into sound plaster, and i'll remove the old damaged plaster back to the cut line.

This one shows the area of lath cleaned off with water and pva'd, ready to be re-plastered. Make sure you remove all the old plaster between the laths themselves.

Pay particular attention to the existing plaster edges with the pva.

Work the plaster into the wet pva'd edges,, go all around the edges before they dry out, then coat over the whole patch, using just enough pressure on the trowel to push the bonding plaster through the gaps in the wooden lath, which will secure the plaster.

Bring the thickness of the plaster out to around 2/3rds, check it with a straight edge to see it's not proud, and then scratch it and leave it to steady up or set, depending on what you're happy with.

Bring it out more or less flush, rule it off with the small straight edge, rub it up/let it set and it's about ready for a couple of coats of multi finish. Allow a mil or two for finish

I got the 132 wrong in this pic. (i thought it was 321) :oops: I hope you understand the idea of the job through the words and the pics.

The materials needed for this job are: British Gypsum Bonding Coat plaster, Multi Finish, and a good quality PVA.

Alway make sure too that the old lath/nails are in good condition before you plaster back onto it.

Roughcaster.

Yes, i got it wrong Marshy, it wasn't until i got home that i spotted the wrong number.. :oops:

Roughcaster.

I scratch my head on what you was on about until I zoomed in on the pic, :oops:
I'm well impressed that you kept your word RC as very few people do that nowadays, I made time to come and look for your post and
I think the mods should make a sticky of it that is well worth keeping for people to get the idea from, even just for a standard wall patch.
I'd email you a beer for that but the last time I tipped one on the keyboard I took about 3 days to dry it out.

I'll get the beer again Marshy, :LOL: i've just finished a packet of crisps too!! never mind. :rolleyes: Had your holidays yet?

Roughcaster.

Quite right,, i very rarely go anywhere either, but next week, the wife, myself, my son, daughter in law and the two little uns, are spending a week in a caravan at Ayr. I've got to get permission from Alastair Reid,,, of this forum :rolleyes: but i'm sure he'll ok it. :LOL:

Roughcaster.

Quite right,, i very rarely go anywhere either, but next week, the wife, myself, my son, daughter in law and the two little uns, are spending a week in a caravan at Ayr. I've got to get permission from Alastair Reid,,, of this forum :rolleyes: but i'm sure he'll ok it. :LOL:

Roughcaster.

:LOL: the ole town awaits the arrival of roughcaster and his clan with open arms :D

enjoy your holidays roughcaster you earned it ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back