Bathroom renovation & shower advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am quickly learning how to become a competent DIY'er and the next challenge is re-doing our downstairs shower room. I have learnt about the central heating system in our house but not about the general water supply.

I am planning on doing the whole bathroom, ripping everything out and then re-tiling and buying new furniture but the key thing is how good the shower can be. It currently has a 9.5kw electric shower and it is pretty shocking, especially on cold mornings.

I would like to move away form an electric shower and go for something where the water through put is better and ideally something that is heated by the central heating system as opposed to electricity.

It is directly below the upstairs bathroom which is fully tiled and has underfloor heating so I don't really want to go about ripping all that up. What I have identified is that I do have a half inch hot and cold feed into the downstairs bathroom but what I haven't established is if the same pipes feed the upstairs bathroom. I am guessing it does and if so, does that mean I can't have a pump fitted to help circulate the water. The hot water tank is at the opposite end of the house and so getting hot water downstairs takes a really long time (30 seconds of constant tap running) and it would be good to be able to speed this up as much as possible.

I can't see that I can run new pipe into the airing cupboard without significant work.

The other potential issue I can vision is that I think the upstairs toilet is not being run from the mains and I think that also gives me an issue when it comes to having a pump installed.

Basically I want the most powerful shower I can get......any ideas?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back