Bathroom(s) Refurbishment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is my first home in north Herts, it was a bit of do-er'upper. The bathroom is the worst part of the house, so decided to get some quotes from plumbers to get it re-fitted and re-tiled. Of the 15 we called, only 5 bothered to come round and quote, of those 5 only 1 quote actually materialised, and with a 9 month waiting list thought I'd try and tackle this myself. I'm not in any trade, but im pretty handy. But this will be by far the biggest job i've tackled. Its not the tiling im concerned with (i've done this before) but the plumbing so was hoping if someone can see any issues with what im planning as i think out aloud.

So this is my current layout:
current.jpg

We want to add a second toilet for the bathroom, and a sink to the toilet.

This is the proposed layout:
proposed.jpg

Bathroom:
Right so adding the toilet in the bathroom should be straight forward, theres a cold water feed for the wc from the old sink, and its right next to the stack, so was going to use a 110mm strap boss to hook into the stack. then connect the toilet up using traditional pvc or even a flexi pan connector depending on how much room i've got to work with once the floor boards come up.

Adding the hot and cold water feeds shouldn't be an issue for the new sink location sink either (forgot to picture above) as the joists run the right way so can just split it off the bath feeds and run under the floor boards. I might even be able to tap into the waste pipe from the bath too, except im not sure how this connects to the stack, given joists will be in the way? there is some boxing which i was hoping to remove hiding something between the bath and stack, but i doubt it hides the waste pipe as i dont think there will be enough of a drop into the stack, and if it does contain a waste pipe, it screws up the sink idea as i'll have no way of running a waste pipe that way without even taller boxing. I guess once i start stripping it down i should have a better idea.

toilet:
For the toilet i was going to just plug the silly feed coming from the ceiling (thats boxed btw). And just take a feed through the wall directly into the back of the toilet. theres about a 100mm gap between the wall and current toilet. (guessing this used to be a low level WC) but hopefully i can cut down the soil pipe and preposition the toilet further back in the room), using a swan neck connector will still leave a gap, and i cant put a false partition up as the wall is flush with the window.
The hot/cold water feed for the new sink i'll take straight from the boiler room/cupboard. My issue here is what to do with the waste pipe? If it was just me, i'd run it to the external guttering. But the wife doesn't want ugly pipes across the front of the house, even if its just a 6ft. So any idea what i can do here? i cant case chase the pipe, its probably too long I don't really want to notch the joists either, and theres not enough room for boxing and cant really afford the lose a few inches in width doing a false wall.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back