Bathroom Shaver Socket help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps

I had an arcing noise coming from the shaver socket in my bathroom, and the socket itself was getting warm.

As I never use it I thought best thing to do is disconnect it, so I've removed the socket (the transformer was really hot inside, presume there was a fault)

When i disconnected it there were 2 live wires and 2 neutral wires going into the socket, isolating these and wrapping them in insulating tape has stopped the buzzzing, only issue now is that the bathroom light no longer comes on.

If i connect the two lives together and the two neutrals will this solve the problem or blow me up and set fire to my flat :)

any help would be appreciated, can take a photo if needs be!

Sponsored Links
If i connect the two lives together and the two neutrals will this solve the problem or blow me up and set fire to my flat
How were they connected in the socket ? Think about it.....

Did you notice whether any of the wires were even a bit loose when you disconnected them? This could be the cause. Reconnecting the two pairs together will get your lights working again. If you're not confident call an electrician. You'll need to replace your shaver point or at least make a good termination of the cables, including the earth, and fit a cover plate.

Sponsored Links
the shaver sockets I've seen, with an isolating stransformer inside, have a little button that the shaver presses when inserted, at all other times the transformer is not live.

transformers often hum or buzz as they age.

the connections in your old fittimg were probably red in connected to red out, black in connected to black out. If so, then a simple connector block, with a blanking plate to prevent contact, would get the light working again. or you could buy a new shaver outlet and replace the old one.

If you can't see how to do it safely, get a qualified electrician in, as electricity on bathrooms can be dangerous.

Note that a bathroom shaver outlet has a transformer in it, and is heavier, deeper and more expensive than sort used in other places.

edited: far too slow :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back