Removing a shaver socket and now upstairs lights not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have disconnected my shaver socket in my bathroom and now the upstairs lights are not working!

There were two cables going into recess behind the socket which had a live, neutral and earth cable.

Please help!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What did you do with those cables after disconnecting?

I just clipped them and put them in a choc box! I did not connect them together or anything.

Is this where I have cocked up?

At a guess then, the power for your upstairs lighting circuit went into your shaver socket first then onto the rest of your lights.

You will need to recreate the link between the two cables.

Why are you removing the socket anyway?

If you intend plastering/tiling over the space you will need to either pull in a new cable and join in an accessable place or use crimps & heatshrink.

Sponsored Links
If you look down at your feet you will see a shiny new penny that has just dropped.

Sounds like your shaver socket was part of the lighting circuit old boy

I was removing it so it can be palstered over, how do i create the link, do i just connect the two cables via a connector?

Sorry as you can probably tell i'm a novice and thought this was going to be a simple job!

Thanks

you could do!!! Alternatively grasp each end in your fingers and hold them together!!!!

Yep, bob a connector block on, tape it up so the plasterer doesn't give himself a lick

And don't let the b'stard fill the back box with muck!!!!

Errm. First of all, inaccessible joints must be soldered or crimped, not connected in a block. Second after plastering the cables will probably not be in a safe zone. You either need to leave a cover to mark the position, or remove the wires altogether.

Yep, bob a connector block on, tape it up so the plasterer doesn't give himself a lick
Tape is not adequate - please don't give advice like that.

And don't let the b'stard fill the back box with muck!!!!
It sounds like Paul does indeed want the box plastered over and concealed.

Paul - you cannot do this. Screwed joints, e.g. connector blocks, must remain accessible for inspection, so you can't end up burying the connector block in plaster.

Also, you'll then have cables concealed in the wall with no hint that they are there (i.e. no longer a shaver socket to give people a clue) - this is also wrong.

So your original plan would have contravened the wiring regulations in 2 different ways, and would have been dangerous and therefore illegal.

You must remove the cables entirely, and join them together above the ceiling - use a junction box rather than choc-block, and leave it accessible for inspection & testing.

Sorry ban, I only mean't use a connector block whilst plastering, a chock block would be better or better still power off.

I thought he was on about plastering around the box, not filling it in.

As he is intending to remove the shaver socket then most certainly he should be at least putting a cover plate on.

If it was myself then I would be looking to totally remove this part of the circuit and re-connect the lighting circuit together.

:oops: :oops: :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back