Removing shaver light for decorating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm trying to strip the wallpaper in my bathroom for painting and a shaver light is currently in the way. This shaver light was not previously working, quite possibly because the bulb inside had gone.

I believe I have switched off all electricity to upstairs (no sockets or lights work), but I was unable to cimfirm this for the shaver light specifically because it wasn't working.

All I want to do is remove the shaver light, strip the wallpaper, paint, and then reattach the shaver light. Pictures of the shaver light in its current partially-dismantled state are attached.

Is there a way I can safely remove and reattach the fixture myself, or should I get an electrician in?

Thanks

David

Attachments

• 20150823_132441.jpg
    20150823_132441.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 239
  • 20150823_132450.jpg
    20150823_132450.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 261
Sponsored Links
Well if you're not sure it's dead and have no tester to prove as such, turn off all of the power at your fuseboard (use the main switch - it will be labelled as such) disconnect the cables, put them in a piece of connector strip separately and enclose in a chocbox for safety

You can then turn the power back on and decorate away.

If the fitting didn't work, and you haven't resolved it, that would indicate you don't use it, and now might be the time to get rid altogether

Hi all,

I'm trying to strip the wallpaper in my bathroom for painting and a shaver light is currently in the way. This shaver light was not previously working, quite possibly because the bulb inside had gone.

I believe I have switched off all electricity to upstairs (no sockets or lights work), but I was unable to cimfirm this for the shaver light specifically because it wasn't working.

All I want to do is remove the shaver light, strip the wallpaper, paint, and then reattach the shaver light. Pictures of the shaver light in its current partially-dismantled state are attached.

Is there a way I can safely remove and reattach the fixture myself, or should I get an electrician in?

Thanks

David

As you are keeping it why not replace the tube now, then it will be working, and you will be able to confirm when the power to it is off?

Hiya

I will do as you suggested, lggifer. Thanks for your guidance.

winston1 - thanks, I did think of that but I suppose the main reason I was going to reattach it was for safety reasons (so I don't have loose wires). I havent actually decided whether I will try to get it working so maybe I will just leave the cables in the chocbox for now.

David

Sponsored Links
On a related subject, it may be a good idea to feed shaver lights from a separate switch outside the bathroom, this way you can turn off the shaver transformer completely, as mine used to be on standby mode if the outside switch was left on (the unit got slightly warm to the touch), but goes completely cold when switched off outside.

On a related subject, it may be a good idea to feed shaver lights from a separate switch outside the bathroom, this way you can turn off the shaver transformer completely, as mine used to be on standby mode if the outside switch was left on (the unit got slightly warm to the touch), but goes completely cold when switched off outside.
LED (y)

Had to do some research to understand the above. ;) Appreciate the suggestions though and may look into those sorts of things after I've finished decorating.

Incidentally, I ended up giving up on taking the shaver light off the wall, largely because I could not figure out how to separate the wires from the shaver light. In particular, does anyone know how to deal with the black plastic box in the pictures (I appreciate the conduit solution isn't quite as suggested by lggifer at the moment..!)? I don't know whether I'm supposed to be able to separate it from the shaver light, or thread the wires through!

Attachments

• 20150825_071657.jpg
    20150825_071657.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 188
  • 20150825_071715.jpg
    20150825_071715.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 203
If you've got the cables out of the light - which it looks like they have as they're in a chocbox (with the power off - and you may trip the RCD regardless if you short the neutral to earth - not a problem, but it's to be wary of) then yea, just thread the cables out through the little hole with the black grommet on it.

The black box just looks like a shroud that covers the cable - I could be wrong though

Ah yeah, I managed to sort it out in the end (yesterday) thanks. Ended up removing the whole thing after discovering it wasn't actually connected to anything. Almost posted yesterday to say so but didn't want to 'bump' the thread.

Thanks again for your help.

No worries, glad you got it sorted.

If you do decide you want to remove it, feel free to come back if you need help. If you decide to re-fit/replace - it's just a simple reverse of what you've already done

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back