Shaver socket question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I am aware that a shaver socket with a transformer must conform to British Standard BS3535 to be suitable for bathroom use.

I have a question suppose i don't want to coem off the ring via a FCU and instead want to come from the lighting circuit.

So Live Earth and Neutral go from JB1 to JB2 and a 1mm wire from JB2 Live, Earth and neutral to the shaver socket.

If using 1.5mm for the lighting circuit i would like to keep things equal, so i would put 1.5mm into the shaver socket is this ok.

Sponsored Links
No idea what JB1 & 2 are - however

If you have a 5A Fuse or 6A breaker on the light circuit using 1mm should not be a problem. There is not much cost differential in using 1.5mm though.

If you are adding to an existing lighting circuit I would recomend using the same as the existing. This is just so that anyone who has to work with it in the future can not be misled by seeing part of it in one cable, without realising that some is in a different cable.

But apart from that, there is no danger using 1.5 to add to a circuit in 1. Doing it the other way around could possibly cause problems. Do not add 1.0 to a 1.5 circuit.

JB1 calling JB2, come in......??

JB= Junction box. (thought you would of known that) like Cu= Consumer unit.

If i'm coming from the lighting circuit. Do i come from the junction box from the live, earth and neutral. I take it the switch live does not need to be used. So i follow the same wiring patter as the live, earth and neutral supply cable.

Sponsored Links
That would be a yes.

Understood that jb stood for jorge Bush. It was the numbering that got us. You meant Bush the first, king of America, going to Bush the second, king of America.

no seriously, didn't understand what these two junction boxes are. A light normally only has one, and normally it is built in to the ceiling rose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back