Replace shaver light with shaver socket in bathroom

JPR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I want to replace a shaver light with an appropriate shaver socket (with transformer). Is this ok?
Because of the position I may need to fit the socket in its side, ie. long side down, would this be ok?
As I am replacing a shaver light I am assuming the power is coming from the lighting circuit thus FCU not necessary, is this correct?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'd look at a high mounted f/spur and then feed on to the shaver point.

Some will say there's no point since it has light load use, but the units do fail and it's prudent to have an isolation point and be able to fuse down size from the standard light mcb at 6 amp.

All electrics in bathrooms should be rcd protected, so if you don't have the upper lights on an rcd then consider a rcd based f/spur.

You should note that all bathroom shaver points need a very deep back box- 45mm.

I'm not clear why the shave can't be mounted in its true vertical orientation, more so when a deep dig in to the wall is required due to depth of box. There's no reason way side ways on will cause problems, other than looking odd and wrong :eek:

• Thanks
Reactions: JPR
All you say may well be correct. But unless you can test then who knows. Bathrooms are dangerous places and even if you could DIY under Part P I would still say get an electrician.
Different manufactures may have different instructions other than writing making it look wrong there is no general rules as to mounting other than following manufactures instructions.
Never assume anything. One has to test. And with proper test gear which does not include neon screwdrivers and the like.

• Thanks
Reactions: JPR

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back