shaver socket from lighting citcuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am wanting to install shaver socket in bathroom, i under stand you can take it from the lighting circuit but must be earthed,

does this mean you can take it directly from the Light switch from the L, N and Earth to the shaver socket, the shaver socket i have has built in transformer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Peter

Sponsored Links
To expand:

No, because the Neutral at the light switch is not a Neutral at all, it's a switched live to feed the light. Connecting the shaver socket in the way you describe would place it in series with the light when the light was switched off (the socket would probably work if the lamp is a standard fillament lamp) and the switch would short out the power to the socket when the light was on (the light would work, the socket would not). The shaver socket would also not work if the lamp was removed or blew. A dangerous side-effect would be that the light socket would be live even when the light was off!

You should take the feed from the loop in/out terminals in the ceiling rose. But as previously stated, this is notifiable work so it would almost certainly be cheaper to get it done by a professional electrician who is an a Part-P scheme.

Sponsored Links
I really don't think that after nearly 4 years the OP is still waiting for someone to tell him how to connect up his shaver socket.

Unless he looks a bit like this....

Tommy+Hilfiger+Backstage+Spring+09+MBFW+2HYT_1pBHNZl.jpg

TwyfordLiam.

I'm sure you are just trying to be helpful, but as you will grow to see. All you are doing it encouraging people who aint got a clue to attempt it, potentially causing injury or death to someone, doing electricians out of work and encouraging people to break the law.

Why go to college and do all your exams to become an electrician if people on here are going to give (sometimes misguided advice) on how to do it?

TwyfordLiam.

I'm sure you are just trying to be helpful, but as you will grow to see. All you are doing it encouraging people who aint got a clue to attempt it, potentially causing injury or death to someone, doing electricians out of work and encouraging people to break the law.

Why go to college and do all your exams to become an electrician if people on here are going to give (sometimes misguided advice) on how to do it?

That's a bit harsh. His reply is a little late, but the drawing is fine.

Are you trying to create a closed shop where professionals on here won't answer any questions from DIYers in case it does them out of fitting a shaver socket?
:rolleyes:

If you're not a competent person, then no. I don't think you should be working on electrics. Especially in a bathroom. Might be his own house now, but might not be forever.

Might be his own house now, but might not be forever.

In which case it then becomes the new owner's responsibility to satisfy himself that the electrical installation is satisfactory, either by examining it and testing it himself or by having somebody else do it if he is not suitably knowledgeable.

Get real. Whoever does this? If Every job was carried out by a qualified reputable tradesman then this additional expense wouldn't be needed. Have you ever done a periodic insp report? If you had you'd realise that not every light and fitting is checked. Work in a bathroom is notifiable under part p. You're encouraging people to break the law. Ever heard the saying that a little knowledge is dangerous?

Being very pedantic about apprenticeships. But surely you can see that a recognised training method, which includes city & guilds exams (which have been taken by apprentices since the 1800's) is better than non.

We also need to look at definition of electrician. If I take my sons temp does that make me a nurse? No! So someone fitting some sockets does not make them a spark. These incompetent electricians u refer to have prob not worked supervised or gone to college for 4 years either.

Also as u like to highlight my comments. Highlight and give comment to the issues I've raised around encouraging people to carry out illegal work that is notifiable under part p.
Why not put on here how to install gas installations?

Get real. Whoever does this? If Every job was carried out by a qualified reputable tradesman then this additional expense wouldn't be needed.

Which planet are you on?

The most dangerous wiring in our house was done by a qualified professional - see the Hall of Shame!

Adjective: reputable
|rep‑yu‑tu‑bul|
Having a good reputation • a reputable business • a reputable scientist • a reputable wine
≈ esteemed, estimable, good, honourable, honoured, prestigious, redoubtable, respectable, respected, time-honoured, well-thought-of

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back