shaver socket from lighting citcuit

Electricity kills. Does it have to be 100's to matter. Is one or two deaths satisfacory?

One death from incorrect or bodged electrical work is too many. But there has to be a compromise between what can be controlled and what can only be controlled by expensive methods.

You've obviously no idea what a 4 year electrical training course involves, so your comment on training means nothing to me.

FOUR YEARS, are you joking. A school leaver can be trained in complex electronic design in half that time.

What does that four year training mean to you. ? I have no idea. But to me if the work and knowledge of some of the "electricians" is anything upon which to base judgement of the training then I can only say the four years has been extremely wasteful in terms of amking them anything more than installers of components for a energy system they have very little theoretical knowledge of.

Sponsored Links
Electrical work comes under building regs. Why can't I build an extension on my own house without them being involved? Closed shop. Only think work should be carried out by competent trained people in the same way as gas work. For god sake read the initial question, the bloke asking didn't have the slightest clue. It shows People like this will try anything and prob won't just stop in their own house.

Electrical work comes under building regs. Why can't I build an extension on my own house without them being involved? Closed shop.

Two wrongs make a right?

Only think work should be carried out by competent trained people in the same way as gas work.

What do you mean by the same way as gas work? There is no law against carrying out work on the gas system of one's own home. The only requirement is to be "competent," not to have any particular (semi-)official training or qualifications.

Electrical work comes under building regs. Why can't I build an extension on my own house without them being involved? Closed shop.

Not a closed shop. In fact probably the opposite as when a DIY has a good attitude to builidng control the officers can be a source of information, advice and encouragement to the DIY work.

Only think work should be carried out by competent trained people in the same way as gas work.

I found they wanted the work to be carried out in a competent manner. If an un-trained DIYer was competent then they would accept that work. If the DIYer showed signs of being less than competent then the officers would help to bring the competence level up to what they wanted.

It shows People like this will try anything and prob won't just stop in their own house.

At least this person asked for advice which is a step on the road to being competent in the task.

Sponsored Links
Just then they came in sight of thirty or forty windmills that rise from that plain. And no sooner did Edzblue see them that he said to his squire, "Fortune is guiding our affairs better than we ourselves could have wished. Do you see over yonder, friend Part P, thirty or forty hulking giants? I intend to do battle with them and slay them. With their spoils we shall begin to be rich for this is a righteous war and the removal of so foul a brood from off the face of the earth is a service God will bless."

:cool:

For god sake read the initial question, the bloke asking didn't have the slightest clue.

Normally I wouldn't get invovled, but this winds me up :rolleyes:

Isn't what you have said in that single line the whole point ?!

This is a DIY forum, primarily a resource where you can ask questions and (usually) obtain useful answers.
You ask questions to learn things that you did not know before asking.

What exactly did you want edzblue? Would you prefer that everyone already knew the answers before asking the questions? :rolleyes:

I think he reckons he's an electrician, but has no work and is blaming DIY.

Apstys. What do u mean thinks? I am. It's because I am and I see work that has been carried out by idiots like you, jack of all trades, that I feel so passionate about it.

Apstys. What do u mean thinks? I am. It's because I am and I see work that has been carried out by idiots like you, jack of all trades, that I feel so passionate about it.

I am sorry edzblue but I have seen too much work carried out by "trained electricians" that has been thrown in without any pride in the work. And some it is not to a satisfactory standard. Yet the customer believes it has been carried out to meet a recognised standard. And I have seen work carried out by DIYers that is to a very high standard because it is in their house and they have a reason to do a good job.

Yes there are some DIY disasters but please do not automatically class all work done by DIYers as always being bad work. And like wise please realise that there are "qualified electricians" who cut corners, and cut costs and then self certify the work as compliant when it is out of sight and anyway the customer cannot judge whether it really does comply.

Exactly. Qualifications != Quality Work

'Electricians' who can't get work should look to themselves for the reason. A good electrician will be turning work away, and certainly won't have time to bemoan their fate on forums.

I have to agree entirely with Bernard's comments. Just because a person is an amateur does not mean that he is not competent, or indeed that he cannot produce work of the highest standard. Similarly, just because a person has a piece of paper saying that he has passed a particular exam does not mean that he cannot produce sub-standard work, or that he is necessarily more knowledgeable.

It's clear to me from comments made by some "qualified electricians" that while they might be very familiar with BS7671 and able to carry out satisfactory work, and know how to carry out the associated tests, they really don't have a good understanding of basic electrical theory.

edzblue wrote:
Get real. Whoever does this? If Every job was carried out by a qualified reputable tradesman then this additional expense wouldn't be needed.

Do the shaver socket yourself, will take 5 minutes vs a £500 bill from a Part P electrician!

Don't let a Part P electrician hold you to ransom over some work that is so simple that a 5 year old could do it.

Do the shaver socket yourself, will take 5 minutes vs a £500 bill from a Part P electrician!

Don't let a Part P electrician hold you to ransom over some work that is so simple that a 5 year old could do it.[/quote]

If it's so simple (which if you know what ur doing it is) then why would someone be asking how to do it? And if you got a £500 bill off someone for fitting a shaver socket, then you must be as simple as a 5yr old. Get a price before any work is undertaken. Now that is simple!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back