Fitting shaver unit in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
my brother in law wants a shaver unit fitting in the bathroom. The shaver unit has a isolation transformer fitted on the back of the socket. There are no lighting junction boxes as far I know. I was going to run a cable from a double socket in the hallway then down rate it using an FCU. Am not allowed to put the FCU in the bathroom am I?

Sponsored Links
Hi
my brother in law wants a shaver unit fitting in the bathroom. The shaver unit has a isolation transformer fitted on the back of the socket. There are no lighting junction boxes as far I know. I was going to run a cable from a double socket in the hallway then down rate it using an FCU. Am not allowed to put the FCU in the bathroom am I?

Hi there.
I can't see why not as long as you fuse it correctly. I've just recently done one from my lighting ring upstairs and put the fcu outside the bathroom just above the door just to be on safe side.

Sponsored Links
This is notifiable work (electrical work in bathrooms) if your BIL lives in England & Wales.

If so, you'd need to follow the Part P notification procedure. See here
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p:diy_electrical_work_and_the_law[/QUOTE]
Do remember the question is:-
Am not allowed to put the FCU in the bathroom am I?
so you are asking what you are allowed to do not what is safe or what complies with BS7671:2008.

Personally I may on the odd time break the law. I have done 35MPH in a 30MPH area from time to time. But if I have some one following me I am very careful not to exceed the limit as to do so is also forcing the guy following to do the same.

The same with electrics one thing breaking the law in your house something very different breaking the law in some one else's house.

As to the fitting of a FCU in a bathroom it would be the IP rating, the zone, and manufactures recommendation, which would determine if it can be used. Not only would I want it to comply with IPX4 but I would want the manufacture to state it was to IPX4 when used in zone 1 or 2.

Where I can the FCU would be outside the zone areas. Likely outside the bathroom. Also remember all supplies into a bathroom must be RCD protected so if there is not already RCD protection then a RCD FCU will be required and because likely cable will be buried in the wall there will be no option as to where fitted it will be next to the point the supply is taken from unless using Ali-tube cables.

I think he means "following" as in "we're going to the same place, he doesn't know how to get there, so I am leading the way".

And he's right - it's a right b***er if the guy you're following speeds, or nips through lights on the last gasp of amber, or doesn't know what to do at roundabouts, or how to manage overtaking (although the last 2 are more of a problem with convoys than just 2 vehicles).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back