Bathroom sink waste water pipe loose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Bit of advice needed.

Waste water pipe from bathroom sink came loose last night caused some water damage to ceiling below.

My question is the brown pipe seems to have came loose, but seems to have just been pushed into thread above.There is nothing holding it in place, is this connection incorrect? I would have thought there should be something for the pipe to screw onto the nut above? or at least glued in place?

Would the waste pipe this is connected to under flooring be potentially loose too?

Any advice?

I have a plumber coming this week , but just wanted to see if this was incorrectly fitted in first place?

I have circled area in pic in yellow, I am referencing.

Any advice , help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-20 175002.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-20 175002.png
    192 KB · Views: 39
Sponsored Links
No, they have a sealing conical washer. It sounds like yours has been pushed into the trap or is non-existent.

I have a plumber coming this week , but just wanted to see if this was incorrectly fitted in first place?
No. Loosen the nut, put it over the pipe with the washers that are behind the nut and tighten by hand.

Hey CBW and denso13, thanks for advice.

I agree with above, however on the waste pipe the compression fitting is attached to there is nothing for it to secure onto like the video above if that makes sense? should it not have something like the picture below to screw into , or can I just move the washers onto the pipe and connect without it?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-20 182948.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-20 182948.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 16
Sponsored Links
Unscrew the nut that is there and you'll find the threaded bit once off. Nut and washers over the pipe, insert the pipe into the trap and tighten.

however on the waste pipe the compression fitting is attached to there is nothing for it to secure onto like the video above if that makes sense?
It sounds like yours has been pushed into the trap or is non-existent.
If you undo the compression nut, and remove the trap, have a look inside, you’ll likely find the washer.

Yes that makes sense denso, thanks , I think whoever put it in initially did it wrong way haha ?

Hey CBW, sorry yeah just seen it , makes sense what you are saying, like I was saying to denso, I think the nut has been put on wrong way

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Hopefully the washer is in there denso , like you said , or it is non existent haha!

Or potentially the pipe being too short and the washer has fallen out along with seal , will test when home

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back