Bathroom Sink Won't Drain..seems obvious...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
But its not.

I've removed and cleaned out bottle trap like I do every year. The pipe away from the sink goes into the wall and drops vertically about a foot along. Its clear as far as the 90 degree drop so it would seem that the pipe is clear....it seems to be anyway. The bottle trap is a simple device but even if I fill the sink to the brim the water doesn't shift. The toilet flushes OK next to it and unless its abizarre block on the vertical drop...I've tried a Domestos unblocker but I'm not sure how far along.down the pipe its gone.

Obviously toothpaste/hair etc can get blocked anywhere but is it something simple with teh bottle trap...grasping at straws here ?

The pipe away from teh sink isn't perfectly horizontal or even an down slope away from the sink but the sink is still way above it so gravity should workand its always worked before...

Could it be where the sink waste pipe joins the big pipe behind the wall...if it does that...build up of hair and toothpaste etc ?

Any tips

Sponsored Links
can be anywhere along that pipe.

how long is the pipe runn altogether from basin to the stack pipe ?

Good question. Really difficult to tell where it joins the stack pipe. At a guess around 3- 4 foot if it joins behind the toilet.

I can't see what angle it goes once its in the wall.

I'm thinking that I'll get a thin flexy pipe cleaner and have a prod with that...

I just can't get at anything other than the bottle trap and the bit of pipe sticking out the wall. It goes into the garage on the other side and is enclosed from roof to floor.

Obviously toothpaste/hair etc can get blocked anywhere but is it something simple with teh bottle trap...grasping at straws here ?

take the trap off and run some water through it :idea:

my next shot would be caustic soda :eek:

Sponsored Links
got to wickes get a waste pipe auger
3mdraincleaner.jpg

Thats the baby.......hours of fun.

I don't rate those Domestos cleaners....not enough grunt in my view...can't beat some good old caustic soda.....you can boil an egg at the same time.

I'll give that a go as well as the flexi cleaner tool.....its always the stupid little jobs that prove to be the pain....

don't use the caustic then stick the auger in, some muppet done that when i done their main drain, burns like f*k

the auger will clear it on its own

Good point...I'll give the auger a go....

Thanks for the advice folks....it sounded and looks such a simple problem....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back