Parts list for kitchen sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all if anyone could give me their advice on this I would appreciate it.

I am fitting a kitchen sink from ikea. I have the sink which is a double basin model but no pipes or traps or anything else.

In the kitchen I have a single 40mm pipe coming up from the larger floor waste pipe. So it's Sink to 40mm vertical pipe with traps and bends inbetween. I need to also connect the WM waste to this setup.

Looking through the forum it seems a vertical pipe from the sink should connect to a P trap which then connects to the final pipe that exits through the floor. I would also add a nozzle fitment to the pipe before the P trap, allowing the washing machine water to exit via the push on waste pipe fitting.

So its 1x sink, 1x P trap, some 40mm pipe, 1x 135° appliance nozzle.

Is that correct? If it isn't wrong (which it may be) it seems very simple. Lots of posts on here mention bottle traps - what's the benefit? Are they simply to catch priceless earrings dropped down the sink?

Also, I observed my gasman gluing all the boiler condensate plumbing before connecting it. Do all joints have to be glued?

Apologies for what might be basic questions. Shout if anything isn't clear.

Cheers for your time!

Sponsored Links
Personally I'd be looking at whats available from the McAlpine plumbing website......excellent products which will fit almost anything.
They are compression polyetheylene plastic, and you can join the solvent weld system to it via one of these joints if you need to, or continue using the polythene types.
Boiler condensate pipes should be glued solvent weld - on waste it doesn't matter which you use.
John :)

Thanks very much. Will look at McAlpine as mentioned on here a lot.

Is a bottle trap superior to a P trap? Or are they for different uses?

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back