Bathroom spots

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm getting a plasterer in over the next few weeks, to lower the bathroom ceining so i can have recessed spots. I currently have a concrete ceiling because i live in a flat.

does anyone know what the minmum clearance is for the air to circulate the spots, how much is the minimum i can drop it, its already quite low!!

thanks in advance

kelly

Sponsored Links
Check against the manufacturer's diagrams for the lamps, but it's usually at least about 50-60mm around the lamp (this should be OK if there's nothing but a concrete ceiling above, possibly up to 100mm otherwise), so you'd need to drop the ceiling at least 120mm depending on the size of the fittings.
I take it you won't be putting insulation in the false ceiling?

Are you going to put a famework up, and re-tack ? if not thats a lot of plaster !!! :eek: :LOL:

Please be aware that there is a minimun ceiling height to comply with building regs.

Sponsored Links
jj4091 said:
Please be aware that there is a minimun ceiling height to comply with building regs.

Yeah, those spots can get quite hot, don't want to scorch your head getting out of the bath! ;)

EddieCurrent said:
Are you going to put a famework up, and re-tack ? if not thats a lot of plaster !!! :eek: :LOL:

:?:

Recessed light fittings..solid plaster...

:?:

Sorry Secure, I can't see a plasterer 'floating' 120mm though :eek: , can you ?? :LOL:

jj4091 said:

I dont think there is an actual rule these days, just what is practical. although if you know which building regs approved doc. it is specified in, please let me know.

Yeah check with the instructions you get with your lights but on average the clearance is around 100mm but why make it tight ?
Best get your plasterer to lower around 150mm , i lowered mine by 175mm to bring my ceilings down to the 8ft mark.

Bowness72 said:
jj4091 said:

I dont think there is an actual rule these days, just what is practical. although if you know which building regs approved doc. it is specified in, please let me know.
Do not know which reg it is but was recently working with a builder who was made to raise a ceiling by the local BCD, & I know it was over 6' 9" before he raised it.For some reason & I don't know why 2.2m springs to mind.

Fair enough jj4091, its just that I have tried to find a minimum height before sometime ago but could only find a figure in old regs but I suppose the rule could have been reinstated and 6'9" is quite low.

Yes it is low, but it was only a porch with a cloakroom in it & I could not really see a problem personnally, but the builder did not argue the point, with the inspector so I presumed he new that the inspector was correct. It was more difficult to construct with a higher ceiling height because of other limitations but there was no budging the inspector(the discussion went on on site while I was working there). Sorry I cannot quote you chapter & verse, have you tried asking at your local BCD?

No, but I cant remember why I needed to know anyway. I suspect from past experience that it also depends which building control officer you ask, especially if its not actually quoted in the regs.

Yes I think you are spot on, but none of us are perfect so you have to give them the benefit of the doubt :D :D

thanks for all of your replies, 150mm it is, got my ruler out and i think my head is safe from the sun burn!

Thanks again Kelly!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back