Bathroom suite quality

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have got a little ensuite bathroom (shower, toilet, basin) which needs re-doing. There's an old-fashioned shower cubicle which needs demolishing really and a modern type one putting in.

Anyway, a few months ago we nearly bought a load of stuff from B&Q when they had discounts on their bathroom stuff. The toilet and basin were branded 'Armitage Shanks' but I saw something on the net saying that this wasn't really Armitage Shanks stuff, but a unique-to-B&Q range of budget stuff that AS had let them brand with their name.

A plumber suggested to me that B&Q bathroom stuff was not good quality stuff and that we should look elsewhere. We never did get around to doing the little bathroom.

Is the B&Q stuff cr@p? Is there somewhere (I'm in Sheffield) which sells modern, simple designs which will fit better and have better taps and stuff? My concern with B&Q and the like is that they often include taps in with packages, but there may be no spares for them when they go wrong a few months down the line.

Expensive, isn't it, just getting a small bathroom re-done?

Sponsored Links
If you stick with the well known manufacturers it will pay back in the long run, especially on mechanical parts like taps.
I think you pay a little more for a better quality fitting.

Al

Cheap taps are one of my pet hates. They may be cheaper, but don't normally last very long. Most are made in China, inc the unbranded stuff in B&Q, etc.

I like Grohe, or slightly cheaper, it would be Bristan. Quality taps, where spares will be available in the future.

Also, make sure that if you have gravity water system, ie. hw cylinder and loft tanks, you get taps that are suitable for low pressure. If you have mains pressure H and C, then most taps are suitable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back