Bathroom supplemental bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks in advance, do I need to bond a metal grab rail inside a shower enclosure, and shower enclosure?

Sponsored Links
If it is bolted to the masonry of the wall then, no.

In the unlikely event that it was connected to metalwork which came from the ground then it may.

In the unlikely event that it was connected to metalwork which came from the ground then it may.
As you say, incredibly unlikely, but if that were the case, I presume it would require main, not supplementary, bonding.

Kind Regards, John

Well, yes but I was presuming that whatever it was connected to would be main bonded.

Structural parts, of course, may not be.

Sponsored Links
Well, yes but I was presuming that whatever it was connected to would be main bonded. Structural parts, of course, may not be.
True - but I couldn't really think what sort of metalwork it might be connected to within a wall other than 'structural parts' - and even that incredibly unlikely!

Kind Regards, John

Metal grab rail and half shower enclosure is screwed through tiles on top of concrete board screwed to wooden stud wall.

Other half of enclosure is fixed through tiles on concrete board to a plasterboard panel wall.

Don't know technical name, calling it a plasterboard panel wall as its 2 layers of plasterboard with a cardboard honeycomb type structure between the 2.

Never heard of bonding an enclosure or grab rail, but asked because on another thread there was talk about the possibility of a damaged cable or bad connection leaking current through a wet floor and / or wall plaster giving a tingle through shower... Which made me think in that scenario if enclosure and grab handle should be bonded.

Thanks

Metal grab rail and half shower enclosure is screwed through tiles on top of concrete board screwed to wooden stud wall.
Other half of enclosure is fixed through tiles on concrete board to a plasterboard panel wall.
Don't know technical name, calling it a plasterboard panel wall as its 2 layers of plasterboard with a cardboard honeycomb type structure between the 2.
Then, definitely not a need for supplementary bonding.

Never heard of bonding an enclosure or grab rail, but asked because on another thread there was talk about the possibility of a damaged cable or bad connection leaking current through a wet floor and / or wall plaster giving a tingle through shower... Which made me think in that scenario if enclosure and grab handle should be bonded.
In that scenario bonding the rail would turn it into a danger.

Any chance of a link to the other thread?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back