Bonding (another one)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry guys, I know there are endless bonding topics here but can't find answer to this or figure it out from bits of regs I've read.

The bonding onto the copper pipes in my bathroom are all visible i.e. the green/yellow wires all surface from the floor and are connected to the pipes just above the floor, an ugly site. Does the bonding clamp have to be visible or can it be relocated under the floor board ?

Also, large chrome shower enclosure (gravity fed system), does it have to be bonded ?

Sponsored Links
Sweat the bondig conductors onto the pipes. That is acceptable under the floor.

Bonding an enclosure.....Hmm... I've never done one.......

The clamps should remain accessible for inspection & testing, so "floorboards" are just about OK, as they can be lifted if required (albeit with a bit of damage, usually).

Once you get into laminates, tiles etc - basically anything that you can't get up without major effort and damage then you're not complying with the wiring regs.

But you wouldn't be the only one, and IMHO inaccessible bonding connections are better than no bonding, and it is always possible to test for the electrical effectiveness of the bonding even if a physical inspection is not possible. Make sure the locknuts are good and tight for your own peace of mind.

If you are able to drain the system down before replacing the floor then you might like to consider soldered connections, as these don't need to be accessible.

Re the enclosure, unless it is connected to a metal structural fabric, or has accidentally become connected to the wiring then it doesn't need bonding.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back