test for bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a socket for appliances in a cupboard near my sink.
If I use a multimeter would it detect continuity from the earth point on the socket to the copper pipes thereby confirming the presence of effective bonding?

What is the conventional way to test for bonding in a fitted kitchen where the bonding clamps are not visible?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You either have to find the clamp and do a visual confirmation, or find the main bond cable at the MET and test for continuity from here to the incoming service. The reading should be 0.05 ohms or less.

If I can't see the clamp I would code 4 it on a PIR.

Thanks RF.

Surely the presence of a clamp doesn't confirm adequate bonding? The cable could be broken?

Is this the way the continuity would be tested during a PIR? Basically a long lead from the fuse box through the house to the kitchen?

Is there not an easier way of doing it?

Your method will indicate whether there is a connection between the pipe and the earthing conductor of the circuit supplying the socket (this could be at the MET or it could be a bodge where the bonding runs to a JB or something equally stupid).

A visual confirmation proves there is a suitable connection (correct clamps) and indicates the conductor sizing (should be 10mm²).

A long test lead is necessary to prove the bonding is adequate (below 0.05 ohms) which your method will not.

Davy

Sponsored Links
Yorkyboy said:
If I use a multimeter would it detect continuity from the earth point on the socket to the copper pipes thereby confirming the presence of effective bonding?
Thanks

The multi-meter will indicate continuity if there is a connection. What it will NOT do is indicate whether the continuity is adequate for the task.

The test should pass a current of several amps through the bond to ensure there are no weak points that would fail under fault conditions.

Also a multimeter continuity check with its low current through the tested circuit could be ( will be ) confused by stray currents and voltages created by joints between dis-similar metals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back