Bathroom Tile and grout advice please :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Had some great suggestions here last time I had a problem. So here goes....

The grout from the lowest row of tiles in my bathroom (shower cabinet) had come loose last year. So got a tiler to do the job. I now find that the grout has come off again in the same place. Even the caulking wasn't a good job either :(

So I decided to tackle it myself this time!

No leakage of water downstairs.

The image (wall 2) shows a line of grout which has completely come off. In addition the last tile in the row (black arrow) is loose but its one edge is wedged behind the shower enclosure(no idea how to remove it without breaking the tile !).It might come off with a bit of coaxing.

The image (wall 1) shows 3 tiles removed from the lowest row and one from the next row. They were removed because the grout had come off and the three tiles were a bit loose.The last tile (thin black arrow) is partly loose but again one side is wedged behind the end of the shower cabinet.

The thick black arrow shows the area where the drywall behind was damp.There was dampness even in the higher row(tile removed in image) but no water leakage found downstairs.

I used a fan heater to dry out the dampness and it did the job after about 12 hours.Now the drywall is completely dry. I have stopped the fan heater and after a day no dampness has returned.

I am now very carefully allowing water to flow from the shower hose into a bucket and overflow.The intention is to see if the dampness returns with water flowing out of shower tray and confirm the dampness was only due to the loose silicon and grout.

Here's where I need your advice:
If the dampness does not return after the water flow can I assume that it was mostly or entirely due to the loose grout problem?
Secondly is there any thing else I should be doing or checking to confirm it?
Thirdly can I then go ahead and cement the tiles back,grout the tiles including other areas (I have tried to clear any additional doubtful areas of grout) and do the caulking?
Lastly any suggestions to remove the last tiles in the row with their sides wedged behind the shower cabinet (possibly at least a cm) without breaking the tiles?

Or should I have to call in a plumber?

Any help welcome :). Megan

Wall 2:

2d8f8nr.jpg

Wall 1:

sztpi9.jpg

Sponsored Links
From what I can gather from your text & pics you might be best advised to remove all the bottom "panels" around the bath tub.
You might reveal mould & failed adhesive & damaged dry wall.
Then post a pic on here.
Slide a spatula type wall scraper under the edges & they will lift off.
The panel going behind the enclosure jamb - slide the spatula under the LH edge to raise it a little and carefully move it back and forth while gently pulling it out. Cut any silicon sealing.
You might find mould and decayed adhesive.
Is that a tub surround, plastic strip sealer on the bath rim?

What I can see does not inspire confidence in the tile job?
Dry wall has been used (its the wrong backing) & damaged. If its crumbly it will be useless.
Mastic adhesive has been use - it should have been a powdered adhesive.
The grout lines appear to be too wide.
No silicone sealant can be seen at the bath to tile junction.

Its not a job for a plumber - its a job for a professional tiler.

From what I can gather from your text & pics you might be best advised to remove all the bottom "panels" around the bath tub.
You
Mastic adhesive has been use - it should have been a powdered adhesive.
The grout lines appear to be too wide.
No silicone sealant can be seen at the bath to tile junction.

Its not a job for a plumber - its a job for a professional tiler.
Thanks vinn.Appreciate that.
It is not a tub sorround but a standing shower. Had a look at the dry wall and it is good and not the least bit crumbly. Other than the two tiles (last tiles on each row) the others are soundly held.To remove them I may have to risk breaking them and I don't have a spare of the same design !

The space for grout does appear to be wider than normal with less space for the silicon at the bottom as you say.

You wont break them if you do what I suggested.
Thing is, if moisture is behind them then they too will also fail in time.

The backs of any removed tiles will have to be cleaned off if they are to be re-used.
Residual adhesive on the dry wall will also have to be scraped off and the mould treated.

Sponsored Links
You wont break them if you do what I suggested.
Thing is, if moisture is behind them then they too will also fail in time.

The backs of any removed tiles will have to be cleaned off if they are to be re-used.
Residual adhesive on the dry wall will also have to be scraped off and the mould treated.

Thanks vinn.
Any idea how much this might set me back? Roughly if I decide to completely retile the lower three rows to be on the safe side.

Any suggestions as to what I could do if a tile breaks - replace with whites or any smart ideas? :)

megan.

No idea on cost.
That tile is a popular make, and easily replaceable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back