bathroom timer fan replacement with humidistat fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I intend to replace a basic Manrose bathroom fan with a timer, with an Xpelair DX100H because it has a humidistat and a timer. Took a quick look to check the dimensions of the ducting and location of the housing all match, and am baffled by the wiring. It is running off a single blue and a single red-tagged-black. The earth (fair enough, the new fan is double insulated and states it doesn't need an earth) and the brown are both capped with insulating tape. Currently, it comes on with the main light and stays on for two minutes after the light is switched off.

My new fan needs L, N and a T (timer?) - I'm lost, can anyone advise?

Many thanks,

Philippa

Sponsored Links
Blue = N
Black with red tag = T
Brown (capped) needs to be uncapped and connected to L

emember to set the huimditiy control to 90%, its damp in the UK!

PS, Your old fan could not have had a timer, if there were only two wires attached to it!

Thank you Taylortwocities; I tried that but it doesn't work?!

I presume the new one should come on when I switch the light on, like the last one did, rather than wait until the room is sufficiently humid?

Perhaps I have my terminology wrong - I meant the old one would stay on for 2 minutes after you switched off the light, rather than a timer per se?

Your old fan could not have had a timer, if there were only two wires attached to it!
It could if it was a ELV fan with the timer function at the transformer.

And if flipper81 has reused the cable from the transformer for a LV fan that would explain why it doesn't work.

So - flipper - what was the voltage of the old fan, and have you traced the cable from it?

Sponsored Links
Problem identified - thank you! Yes, the old fan (Manrose XF100LV) is low voltage (12) and the new one is not. There is indeed a transformer in the wardrobe of the bedroom next door.

So is there a straight forward solution - I can't find a low voltage fan with a humidistat, is that possible?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back