Issue replacing a bathroom extractor fan

Should mention at this point I haven't got anything to link live and t not sure if I have any spare wire! Should it work anyway?
As I've said, I'm not certain - but I am sure that it should work with the link present.
Can I use any cable?
Indeed - virtually anything would do for this test.
Interestingly I didnt notice before that the light is now on with t and neutral connected but still not going.
That sounds hopeful - it may we 'waiting' for the link :)
And yes there is plenty of exposed wire to the terminals.
Thanks for confirming.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Great found some 16awg cable from an old spotlight. So I'm linking live to t presumably on the side of the Terminal where the live wires come in, rather than the fan side ? E.g. Put the wire in with the existing live

Great found some 16awg cable from an old spotlight. So I'm linking live to t presumably on the side of the Terminal where the live wires come in, rather than the fan side ? E.g. Put the wire in with the existing live
It doesn't really matter - but, yes, that would be the easiest way.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks john appreciate your help.

Right have got my link wire connected , powered on switch, so I've still got live wire in t and I get a light but no fan movement?..is it worth me hooking the live wire back into l or does that really not make any difference now they are linked?

The light still comes on, mocking me!!

Sponsored Links
Thanks john appreciate your help. ... Right have got my link wire connected , powered on switch, so I've still got live wire in t and I get a light but no fan movement?..is it worth me hooking the live wire back into l or does that really not make any difference now they are linked? ... The light still comes on, mocking me!!
No - if they are linked, it doesn't matter which your live is connected to. It does sound like a dead fan. If you haven't done so already, are you able to safely use your multimeter to confirm that there actually is about 240V between the N and L (or N and T, given the link) terminals of the fan?

I feel slightly 'lonely' in this discussion - has anyone else got any ideas that I haven't thought of?

Kind Regards, John

Oh slight oddity found... Not sure how I missed it before!
Presumably I should be measuring in ac on my meter it's showing 16.5 / 16.6 which seems odd!? Have I made a fatal mistake!!?

Oh slight oddity found... Not sure how I missed it before! ... Presumably I should be measuring in ac on my meter it's showing 16.5 / 16.6 which seems odd!? Have I made a fatal mistake!!?
Yes - you should be measuring on its AC Volts range. Are you saying that you are seeing 16.5V-16.6V between the live and neutral feeds?

Kind Regards, John

Hi, yep 16.5v is correct, i'm guessing this may be the problem!

Does that mean there is potentially a transformer or something in-line/in the loft that's bring down the volts?

the old fan was a genie nuaire

Hi, yep 16.5v is correct, i'm guessing this may be the problem! .... Does that mean there is potentially a transformer or something in-line/in the loft that's bring down the volts?
Ah - that could well be the problem :)
the old fan was a genie nuaire
Do you still have it? Can you tell us the exact model number (should be on,or in, it somewhere!)?

Kind Regards, John

sure have, i'll go and dig out!

Had a quick look in the loft but couldn't get over to above the bathroom (we've recently moved in) and i'm not too familiar with the loft layout but its tight! and I need to take a bigger light up there ideally.

sure have, i'll go and dig out! ... Had a quick look in the loft but couldn't get over to above the bathroom (we've recently moved in) and i'm not too familiar with the loft layout but its tight! and I need to take a bigger light up there ideally.
Before you do too much pot-holing, if you could/can do it safely, you might want to check that there actually is about 240V AC coming out of that 'switch outside the bathroom (when the switch is 'on'). If it's a double pole switch (with both live and neutral being switched) that should be easy - just measure between L and N. If it's not, report back and we'll think of a Plan B! Is it 'just a switch', or does it also have a fuse?

Kind Regards, John

Hey John, saved the old extractor out of the bin (lucky!)

its a Nuaire Genie-H (in big letters 12v) with a warning on the back cover '12v to be used only with supplied transformer'

D'oh!

The switch outside of the bathroom is indeed fused (3a).
Presume i can just take the front panel off and measure the volts on the terminals inside (without risk?) with it switched on?

Hey John, saved the old extractor out of the bin (lucky!) ... its a Nuaire Genie-H (in big letters 12v) with a warning on the back cover '12v to be used only with supplied transformer' ... D'oh!
That's your problem,then. The 'supplied transformer' is presumably up in the roofspace somewhere, and needs to be removed, and a straight 240V power feed taken from the switch to the fan.

One thing to consider is whether there was a reason why a 12V fan was installed previously. Exactly where is this fan located, relative to baths and showers, and how far above the floor?
The switch outside of the bathroom is indeed fused (3a). Presume i can just take the front panel off and measure the volts on the terminals inside (without risk?) with it switched on?
In view of the above revelations, I don't think there's any need/point in doing any measuring at the switch.

Kind Regards, John

Got it, glad we got there in the end! Next mission is to get across the loft!
The fan is roughly 6 foot up in the corner of the bathroom above the bath, the shower is the other end of the bath.

Our house is an ex mod house from the 70s, one of many such houses in the area that I imagine all had the same setup?

Got it, glad we got there in the end! Next mission is to get across the loft! .... The fan is roughly 6 foot up in the corner of the bathroom above the bath, the shower is the other end of the bath.
What distance above floor level?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back