Fitting a bathroom extractor fan using humidistat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm thinking about getting on of these; http://www.screwfix.com/p/xpelair-dx100h-axial-bathroom-extractor-fan-with-humidistat-timer/95442 to fit above our shower.

I'd like to make use of the humidistat so that it just turns on / off as required - this way, in the mornings we can leave it going (without having to leave the light on) and then it can just shut itself off once the humidity is gone.

I've done some reading and think I know how it should be wired in for this situation but want to check before taking the plunge;

(Currently we have two pull cords, one for the bathroom light, and another for the electric shower.)

I am correct in thinking I can (in the loft space) break into the power feed that goes to the bathroom light pull cord, put a junction box in and wire onwards to light pull cord / extractor fan.
I see that a fused spur should be used, to feed the extractor - looking on screwfix, they all seem to be wall mount (which obviously I'd like to avoid if possible - just for ease of fitting).
Is there any way to avoid this (place something in the loft instead?) or at least use something that is ceiling mount, so I don't have to hack away at the wall.
I guess that leads onto my next question of; even if I'm not using a cord/switch to control the fan, so I still need to fit one for isolation purposes?

If anyone could explain in laymans terms, or maybe link me to the bits on screwfix or somewhere it would be appreciated :)

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
electrics:lighting:fanwiring3_h2.jpg

If the mi says fspur then add one in. If its for isolation then the 3 pole does the job and has the contact gap required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back