Humidstat fan activating in-line fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have an Xpelair LV100H Extractor with Humidistat and Timer in my bathroom leading to the loft and an old flue to take the steam out of my bathroom. What I am wondering is, is there anyway to activate an in-line extractor fan several metres down the ducting to help the air get to the end of the flue as I dont think the Xpelair is strong enough to push all the way.

Thanks
Gary

Sponsored Links
Take the feed from the wiring beyond the controls in the existing fan ?

Obviously both fans would have to be the same operating voltage. If you junctioned the wiring to the fan operation inside the existing fan, then the new fan would co-exist and function in tandem with the old fans timer and stat.

It would be a little risky, as I doubt the existing fan will be rated to switch the load of an additional fan. In my experience, the control PCBs simply use a small triac or similar to control the motor, and they tend to get a little warm even during 'normal' use.

If you must do it, use an inline timer fan, and use the humidistat fan to switch the timer terminal on the new fan, as the vast majority of the load will be across the permanent L and N terminals.

You can get multiroom extractors.. you have a single unit that sits in the loft and connects to each room and outside via flexi hose..

Sponsored Links
You don't say how long the duct is, however most fan manufacturers do make a fan with centrifugal blades. These are especially designed to create a higher pressure, up to 4 times higher than standard axial blades in order to overcome the resistance of longer ducts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back