Xpelair fan with timer and Humidstat ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Electricians doing a rewire and fitting bathroom fan.

Misunderstanding (one they were going to fix didn't have humidstat) - so (at last minute) sourced this one from screwfix

http://www.screwfix.com/p/xpelair-l...er/37954#product_additional_details_container

They said this fan wasn't right - didn't have a timer - they thought they had been given the wrong fan by screwfix - but screwfix says not and this does have an integral timer...but the humidstat overrides it? -something about it won't come on unless it is humid enough? I haven't seen it on yet...empty house not very humid!

Was wired originally so that I have a 2 gang light switch - one gang for light and other for fan (outside the bathroom) so I could just turn the fan on without the lights ...

Now really confused - has anyone else come across this - does this sound right? (fan only coming on when its humid?) -apparently they have a third cable -but nowhere to connect it...

On box it say something about a separate user operated timer -but on the fan instructions it says only use with the (transformer? ) unit thing that came in the box...

Have had it fitted (for now)....rather than a hole in the wall and loose cables...but would like it work as I want...

Sponsored Links
Misunderstanding (one they were going to fix didn't have humidstat) - so (at last minute) sourced this one from screwfix
So you wanted a fan with a humidistat.

Was wired originally so that I have a 2 gang light switch - one gang for light and other for fan (outside the bathroom) so I could just turn the fan on without the lights ...
But you didn't want to have the humidistat control it.

Seems odd to me.

There seem to be different options for the fan you have bought http://www.xpelair.co.uk/lv100-selv-4-100mm-axial-single-speed-extractor-fans.html & the one you have does not work in the way you would like it to. I have no experience of that model but would have thought that you're electrician should be able to short out the humidistat so that you can control it from the switch. I doubt that Screwfix will exchange it now so you have the option of getting it modified or buying a different one.

So you wanted a fan with a humidistat.

Quote:

But you didn't want to have the humidistat control it.
I wanted something that would only stop when the moisture was clear but to be able to override it - have it working when it wasn't humid or you needed the light on ...part of the point of a bathroom fan I thought...

you're electrician should be able to short out the humidistat so that you can control it from the switch.
The electricians (2 of them) thought it wasn't very well described by Screwfix...
they did look at modifying it...but didn't think they could (lot of this went over my head)...mainly because humidistat and timer are inside the fan housing ...and the transformer box did/didn't have something in -they looked at putting a separate timer on but there was a problem with that too...and they didn't want to break it...(tempted to pull the stupid humidistat out myself!)
If I had thought about it I think I would have been better buying a £20 timer fan and leaving this till I could sort it out properly - (they left this till last anyway - except testing - and by this stage all the suppliers would be closed -so they would have to get them back anyway and they had other jobs lined up...) - £100 is a lot of money for something you don't want...only to fill a hole in the wall!

Does anyone have experience of these fans? Thinking I might speak to Xpelair...(and maybe Screwfix about their description)..

Sponsored Links
I've fit loads of manrose, typically selv.

The one people love are the ones with humidistat with pullcord override.

Works a treat. Have one myself! ;) Bas will tell me that I'm wrong, though.

If I had thought about it I think I would have been better buying a £20 timer fan and leaving this till I could sort it out properly - (they left this till last anyway - except testing - and by this stage all the suppliers would be closed -so they would have to get them back anyway and they had other jobs lined up...) - £100 is a lot of money for something you don't want...only to fill a hole in the wall!

Does anyone have experience of these fans? Thinking I might speak to Xpelair...(and maybe Screwfix about their description)..
I doubt if you have a cat in hells chance of getting anywhere with S/fix or Xpel their descriptions seem perfectly clear to me I'm afraid. Every fan with a timer I have installed has had a connector to an electronic timer & an output to the fan so I'm surprised it can't be modded. Can you post a pic of the inwards?

According to the wiring diagram there are only two wires from the transformer to the fan.
So modifications are likely to be impossible.

There is no timer (timer model has timer integral with transformer).

Unless a pullcord switch can be fitted across the humidistat you cannot do what you want.

A 240V fan with timer and humidistat and pullcord would have been more suitable.

According to the wiring diagram there are only two wires from the transformer to the fan.

Unless a pullcord switch can be fitted across the humidistat you cannot do what you want.

A 240V fan with timer and humidistat and pullcord would have been more suitable.
According to this http://www.applied-energy.com/media/uploads/LV100 RANGE INSTRUCTIONS.pdf the timer & humidistat appear to be on a pcb inside the fan. I would not have thought it would take much to short out the stat.

Just re-read your post. Has the transformer been installed? Do you realise you are going to either have it screwed to the wall in the bathroom or installed in the ceiling void. I'm beginning to wonder if it has been wired for a mains operated fan & you are now trying to fit an extra low voltage one.

I don't get the point of this fan at all ...why have a timer if it won't work anyway unless it is humid?

I've fit loads of manrose, typically selv.

Looked at that one (I think) and it was next day delivery...Xpelair was in stock, had to go and get some stuff anyway (15 mile round trip) and the idea was to get when I was near there ...and Xpelair are a good make ...as it was had to go back with it the next day anyway .....even though ended up keeping it ...

doubt if you have a cat in hells chance of getting anywhere with S/fix
In screwfix
Xpelair® LV100H Axial Bathroom Extractor Fan with Humidistat & Timer

doesn't say anywhere that it can't be user controlled...
there is another one
Xpelair® DX100H Axial Bathroom Extractor Fan with Humidistat & Timer
that's half the price with slightly lower extraction rate ...
still don't understand what the real difference is...unless this would have allowed me to do what I want!

I can't have one because of the location...has to be low voltage...

Can try and get photo -if I can take the cover off now it is fitted...

Xpelair do some user operated timer - but it says you can only use the transformer they provided it with ...but maybe they sell some part that is a work around - (really p***ed off with it... :cry: )

Sorry that was a cross post....

First - don't know but the transformer (which is bigger than they expected it be) is attached to above outside the bathroom door with the isolator switch
and the wires were already there ...so I would think they 'planned it'

So how would you short out the 'stat' (humidistat?) Not going to do it myself but my electricians couldn't work it out...(except would that 'break' the humidistat?)

HP model? Is that an xpelair too?

According to this http://www.applied-energy.com/media/uploads/LV100 RANGE INSTRUCTIONS.pdf the timer & humidistat appear to be on a pcb inside the fan. I would not have thought it would take much to short out the stat.
The humidistat is in the fan with permanent 12V supply.

However, it must be just a standard diagram (which shows the timer adjustment in the fan) as there's no way a timer (in the fan) can work with just a 12V permanent live.

When fitted it must be in the transformer as this has permanent and switched 240V.

I don't get the point of this fan at all ...why have a timer if it won't work anyway unless it is humid?
It doesn't have a timer.
It is just a humidistat which starts when humid.

I can't have one because of the location...has to be low voltage...
Yes you can. That's not true.
As long as it is IPX4, or IPX5 if likely to be splashed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back