Bathroom vent run?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly this is my first visit to this forum so hello to everyone here. Not sure if I should do an introduction somewhere first, if so please say so and I will do.
I have a project in mind, its an en-suite shower room, shower,hand basin and WC.
I am hoping to build this in a dining room that is basically just used for storage at the moment. The room has no windows but was fitted with a ceiling extractor that vents out vertically through my roof, its a bungalow by the way.
My first question is if I replace the extractor with a shower room extractor can I leave the vent so it still vents vertically or does it have to vent horizontally as all the diagrams seem to show or even downwards. It vents approx 2 metres straight up through the roof, its approx 12 inches high outside, the vent pipe has a cover over it to stop debris etc coming in, the cover is shaped like a bowl which overhangs the pipe all the way around.
Is this a none starter or would it be OK.
Thanks for reading.
Regards Ziggy Stardust

Sponsored Links
The existing duct and cowl would be suitable for a replacement fan.

A centrifugal fan would be the most efficient, and get one with a 15 minute over-run and which is connected to the light switch so that it comes on when the light is switched on. Also a humidistat controlled fan would be good to have

Thanks Woody, that saves me quite a bit of work. I will take your advice and get a centrifugal fan when the time comes. It will also have an over run which I have already been thinking of.
Thanks again for your reply.
Ziggy S.

It might be worth considering a condensate trap at the bottom of the vent to stop condensing steam running back down through the fan so you have two showers in the room.

Sponsored Links
I was wondering about that Tickly T. If it had an overrun though of say 15 minutes do you think it would trickle back. I can see your point, it will condensate on the sides on its way out, or will it? Once the steam has been removed the fan might create a drying effect and actually blow the duct dry. Am I right or am I wrong?
I would have replied earlier but my PC is playing up, I think its the graphics card on the blink as I can hardly make things out on screen sometimes, anyway thats another problem.
Regards Ziggy S.

you could wrap the duct in insulation (such as that loft stuff in rolls with a plastic sleeve round it)

that will stop the duct chilling the steam, as it will not be cold from the unheated loft.

A verctical duct from ceiling through the roof will also act as a chimney and suck warm air through it even without a fan unles you have a shutter.

Good point John B. I suppose it needs to close then after it finishes its timed run. Regarding Insulating it, thats no problem, easy access to it so will put that on my to do list also.
Thanks for the replies.
Ziggy S.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back