Bathroom Ventilation Air Flow Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Background: A bathroom in a 1930's house. The bathroom previously had an old-style separate, but adjoining toilet. As part of being completely gutted and redone, the toilet door has been sealed up and an opening made between the two to create one room.

I'm looking at putting in an in-line extractor fan in the loft. Now I know the ventilation extraction point should be as far as possible from the point where air enters the space. But in this case the bath/shower is right next to the door where air's going to come in.

It occurred to me the solution might be to put a ventilation grille in the partition wall that was formerly the toilet door to create an air inflow point. And seal up the bottom of the bathroom door with a brush-strip, to force air to take the long way round. Is that a thing that's sometimes done?

To preempt the suggestion, I know the other way of doing it would be to put one of those transparent plastic, spinny propeller ventilators in the middle of the window pane that's furthest from the shower, to take air from the outside. But I hate those things, they look awful. And besides, secondary glazing is going in as part of the project (got to be secondary as I'm in a conservation area and so replacing the original Crittall windows would involve hassle with the Council)

Sponsored Links
I think your extractor will work well enough anyway.....after all, warm moist air rises and the extractor will deal with it. Do consider one with a timer though.
A small gap at the bottom of the door is fine - those spinning plastic fans belong in the past!
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back