Air conditioner and ventilation in a flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just moved into a flat that I suspect is going to boil if we get any good weather as it seems to retain a lot of heat. I have been looking at buying an air conditioner that would have a hosepipe on it. My concern is how it is possible to properly create an outlet for the pipe while still keeping the doors and windows shut to let the unit work properly.

I have a heat removing ventilation system in the flat with a unit in the cupboard which is made by a brand called polypipe. However, I think the unit can only deal with a certain amount of moisture so if I attached the hosepipe to any of the ventilation points which I have on the ceiling in different rooms it might not do the job.

Is this easier to do than I think, or am I being a bit strict by thinking every window needs to be closed for it to work.

Sponsored Links
If you have a system already why the A/c unit.?
Windows need to be closed or you are trying to cool the entire globe.
Depends on window type but it's possible to trap a blanking plate [thin ply sheet]in an open window and cut hole to allow A/c exhaust out.
Depends how high the flat is as can be a security risk, or for a more permanent solution have a hole cut thru wall or window for a vent.

If you have a system already why the A/c unit.?

It is more of a ventilation system, but it's purpose seems to be to get moisture / smells out and re-use heat. It is not an air conditioning unit in itself and does not seem to cool the place down. I don't know if that is possible with my window.

Can't be done.

The warm air extracted by the unit through the hosepipe has to be replaced by air coming in from outside through other sources.

Then why do Homebase and other places sell standalone units?

Years ago the air conditioning went in an office I worked in. They also had a standalone temporarily and as long as you were close enough to it then it kept you cool. That was a massive one though for a huge office.

Thanks for the link, but 700 is out of my budget. I just want a small unit to keep me cool.

Sponsored Links
Anything cheaper will not have the power to chill much more than a cloakroom, unless you just want to sit in front of the unit and have a chilled fan.

Can't be done.

The warm air extracted by the unit through the hosepipe has to be replaced by air coming in from outside through other sources.

Then why do Homebase and other places sell standalone units?

Because people buy them.

If you can, get a big fan and put it inside the window in a north-east facing room, and use it to push air through the flat and out of a south-west facing room. This will be fairly effective at dropping the temperature of the flat to ambient shade temp levels, especially after sundown.

Solar control film on windows can also make a useful contribution.

Thanks for the idea, but the flat is a strange design. It has windows facing only one direction. The small bedroom window opens out at a 90 degree angle to the balcony door of the front room. They both face the balcony which is an enclosed winter garden type balcony. I think it has some solar reflective material on there, but I suspect the flat will still get hot.

Strange thing is I was in a very small pharmacy and the small air conditioning unit they had seemed to cool the place down pretty well. I am aware of the theory that a unit will always produce more heat than it will create cool air.

Reading back through the thread I don't see that I have that much warm air coming in apart from the balcony / front room window area. I think it would be possible to create a sealed area to put the hosepipe out of the window somehow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back