Air conditioning for small bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have my 2 little girls in a small, well insulated room in the house. The thermometer on the baby monitor hit 29 this evening despite the window being open. The fan just blows the hot air around and they are taking forever to get to sleep in the heat. I want to cool the room down and I've been looking at air conditioners. The portable ones are too big for the room and will I think be too noisy. I'd much rather a smaller wall-mounted unit above the window.

Does anyone know of a good way to cool it down? I can't see why there couldn't be a wall mounted air conditioner that functions like a portable one through an exhast vent drilled in the wall, but all the wall mounted ones I've found are a very expensive split type requiring internal and external components.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
This may sound silly but if you keep the curtains closed all day, so that the sun does not get into the room, then it will be cooler. Also if it is cooler in the bedroom during the day than the outside, keep the windows closed as you are only letting the hot air in.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Sponsored Links
If the room window faces west then evening sun will always be a problem. One solution is an external blind to keep out the sun. Solar film on the glass could help. A centrifugal extractor fan mounted in the loft will help remove the hottest air from the ceiling. My sister in Sweden has a fan duct to take hot air from the attic down to the cellar.

If the rest of the house is reasonably cool, you can place the fan to blow air out of the window. I used to work in a portakabin and found that with two windows on the same wall, one fan blowing in from one window and another blowing out of another window was effective in the summer. I used the same solution in a temperature controlled cell testing engines - a low-level fan blowing in and a high-level extractor fan and duct drawing out hot air from the far side of the room. The fans were on a proportional controller.

Unfortunately architects can use the heat through windows as part of their energy efficiency calculations. (Apparently this is one reason that we don't adopt triple glazing in the UK as less heat gets in though triple glazing.) So we are going to see more problems like this.

Many split-unit air conditioners are reversible and can work as air-to-air heat pumps. These can be cheaper to run than gas heating.

This may sound silly Andy
it does- stick to drains ;) no, seriously it`s good advice - but keep the door shut too - the rest of the house is heating up and the heat will move to the room thru` an open door - it` s the down side of modern buildings obsession with insulation - but we`re all saving the planet :rolleyes:

Good old Nige, digging up the past........Nothing to do today Nige? Don't you fancy pottering about in the garden? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back