Air conditioning

MB1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had two air conditioners installed in my house with the drainage tubes being plumbed directly into a soil vent pipe. Initially when the units are turned on smells are drawn up through the drainage tube and into the room. The smells stop after the water starts flowing down the tube.
Does anyone have a non invasive solution to this problem- perhaps a slim 'U' tube that can be installed inside the wall mounted unit, or a one way valve system? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You need a trap which is basically a "U" tube in effect.

Its normal to use one at least 75 mm deep.

Tony

Hi Thanks for you reply.
The only access I have to the Aircon drainage tube is behind the interior wall unit, and therefore I cannot install a full sized trap.

Sponsored Links
As I mentioned the only access I have to the drain tube is behind the interior wall unit. The soil vent pipe is embedded in a wall.

As I mentioned the only access I have to the drain tube is behind the interior wall unit. The soil vent pipe is embedded in a wall.

Are you saying the soil pipe is directly behind the a/c unit which I assume are wall mounts?

Hi,

The drain tube and the soil vent pipes are buried deep inside the walls of the house. The only access that I have to any part of the air conditioning drainage system is where the tube comes out of the wall directly behind the wall mounted interior aircon unit. I therefore have very little room for a soultion to this problem.

Thanks for you help.

MB

You can loop the condensate pipe to create a trap but given the lack of space behind the unit this may be a problem but its worth a try.

how big is the condensate pipe?
can't be much more than 21mm overflow pipe can it?
make a "U" band with 4 elbows..

Norcan and ColJack,

Great ideas - i'll see if there is sufficient 'drop' to do this.

Thanks, MB.

try a simple 21.5mm non return valve

its nothing more than a strip of rubber inside fitting, but will def do the job

Hi Glasgowgas,

Great suggestion, where can I buy one?

Regards,

MB.

a spanish plumbers merchant?

where abouts in Espana are you?

if near villamartin area there is a local merchant in san javier(i think)!!

Hi Glasgowgas,

I visit the UK very regularly and would prefer to buy from there. Any ideas on a part number from, say, Plumbase?

Thanks again for your help.

MB.

not got parts books on me,

hopefully kirkgas or namsag or some other esteemed member can sort
you out with part numbers

maybe McAlpine`s website?

just remembered get stuff called "SmellyJelly", you cut bits off a block and put under the cartridge filter, puts a nice smell into room

TUNVALVE
Clear Non-return Valve for WC Overflow - ¾ inch Female Thread × ¾ inch Universal Outlet

R28-NRV
Non-Return Valve with ¾ inch Universal Connections

got these from mcalpines website, i have no idea how to post a link,sorry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back