Can I fit an air conditioning unit above a curtain rail?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I have an air conditioning unit i intend to fit.
https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/iqool9/electriq-iqool9-air-conditioner

The instructions specify very clearly the distances from the adjacent walls and a 15cm clearance from the top of the unit to the ceiling.
It also says that the unit should ideally be fitted 200cm above floor level.

What it doesn’t say is whether a curtain rail can be situated just below the unit.

My wall has a large window that takes up most of the available space. I intend to fit the unit in the space above the window opening and 15 cm below the ceiling.
If I do this I will have just 1cm clearance from the bottom of the unit to the top of the batten holding the curtain rail.

The depth of the batten and curtain once drawn is 6cm.

Assuming that the 1cm clearance is enough to allow removal of the casing for servicing, will that 6cm protrusion of batten and curtain present operational difficulties?

Sponsored Links
I think you'll find the lower grill will have insufficient clearance once opened and in operation.

I just checked my measurements again. I only have a 10cm clearance between the top of the unit andvthe ceiling instead of the recommended 15.
Nuts. It does day “recommended” though, so perhaps the 10 is permissible?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back