should i insulate air bricks in upper floor flat ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, I have a 1st floor flat in a converted house, has 2 air bricks, both of which are surrounded by mould.

my theory is they create cold points that water vapour condenses on.

I know houses are supposed to be ventilated but its obviously causing mould, so im thinking of either stuffing some rockwool in to cut it down, or completely block up ?

is that a good idea ?
thanks

Sponsored Links
When open coal or gas fires were common, it was essential to have rooms well ventilated to replace the air burnt in combustion, so houses were built with these vents. If your heating systems are now all room sealed, then no special ventilation is needed on that score.

If you also make a point of not drying clothes in the house, not having open pans boiling away on the stove, use an extractor hood extracting outdoor, have an automatic fan in the bathroom - then it is worthwhile blocking all of the air bricks up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back