No vents in flat, damp. Flatmaster or alternative?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Moved into a new flat a few month ago and it's damp all of the time, there was mould behing the wardrobes so I took these away.
The windows always have condensation on them and mould up to.

There is a vent above the cooker but that's it in the whole flat. Can't even see any air bricks on the outside.

Installed a dehumidifier which has helped but not got rid of the problem.

I've found the Flatmaster 2000 and wondering if I could install one of these. It would have to go behind the tv at ground level as it's quite a small place.

Would this be sufficient.

We are near the sea and get some strong winds so worried about it being freezing inside if I stick open vents in.

Any other ideas?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
You need mechanical ventilation in kitchen and bathroom, permanently open vent to kitchen and bathroom plus vents to most rooms, Minimum requirements for a well ventilated property.
In addition no washing should be dried indoors?

Household Activity Average moisture added to the indoor air

Cooking 3.0 litres day

Clothes washing 500 ml per day
Showers and baths 1.5 litres per day per person
Dishes 1.0 litre per day
Clothes drying (unvented) 5.0 litres per load
Gas heater (unflued) 1.0 litre per hour
Breathing 20ml per hour per person
Pot plants As much as you give them

This is a lot of moisture which needs to be ventilated away , everyday.

Sponsored Links
I've found the Flatmaster 2000 and wondering if I could install one of these.

As said above you really need to have extractors in the rooms that are generating most of the moisture, how long they need to run for depends upon a number of factors including moisture generating activities. More poorly insulated buildings also need more ventilation as they have colder surfaces.

Ideally you place ventilation into the rooms creating moisture, sucking drier air from the rest of the house, new air then being sucked in through gaps around windows/doors or trickle vents.

If you install a ventilation system in the living room, you need to think if air it sucks/blows will then just come in or out of the gaps in that room, rather than forcing it's way through the building and out of other rooms.

This is why positive pressure systems are typically installed in hallways, as they can be made relatively airtight to the outside, forcing the new drier air to then move through the other rooms in the house.

thanks, that's really helpful.

Think the first job is to get a extracter fan in the bathroom.

This is the flat layout

I can install permantly open vents in rooms but wouldn't know where to put them.
Will try a Google search on vent locations.

Plastic windows.

Have now locked them all in vent mode. Was looking at adding trickle vents to them also.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back