Damp and mould

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, recently moved into a 2 bedroom flat with vents in every room. Just above floor level and below ceiling level, well now it's got cold every night all the bottom vents are all damp, which is making all the surrounding wall wet plus all the way round the corners of the windows. They are all condensationed up too. Plus causing mould in these areas.

This seems to only be happening in the main bedroom and lounge. Seems to be no way of stopping it unless we don't put any heating on or leave the windows open.

I had cleaned off all the mould with bleach yesterday and had the windows open to allow everything to dry which it had. Since then woke up to find all the vents damp and walls so can see the mould returning.

Really has put me off of ever living in a ground floor flat ever again.

Any help would be appreciated cheers

Sponsored Links
The issue is one of ventilation and condensation IMHO. At one time I had a ground floor flat which suffered just such problems, particularly in the master bedroom (at the front - our main entrance was at the back of the building). I tried running a dehumidifier in 2 rooms all the time but the floors were found to have an inadequate DPM (incomplete or damaged?) which was allowing moisture to be wicked up into the flat and the front wall (master bedroom and bedroom) was excessively cold because it was a solid brick wall (and was also not fully sealed). I sealed the floor with a liquid DPM followed by screeding and a very dense underlay together with resillient bar-mounted thermal pasterboard on the insides of the outside walls but it was only ever a partial solution at best.

Since then I've avoided ground floor flats!

there isn't any wet washing draped around?

does the bathroom extractor work?

do any parts of the floors seem damp?

Sponsored Links
Vents are clear, we have to dry the washing in doors which could be contributing. Bathroom and kitchen extractors work. Everything has been dry for the last few days but we are thinking about getting a dehumidifier as a backup. Cheers

draping washing is a terrible source of damp. Try hanging it over the bath, with the door and window closed, and the extractor running continuously.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back