Bathroom Wall Damp\Mould\Condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening All,

This is my first post on DIYnot and it relates to a problem i seem to have with a dividing wall between my bathroom and back bedroom.

on one side of the wall is the bath, which is an old cast iron bath from the 50's. we moved into the house last year and are slowly going through redecorating each room.

we are due to start on the back bedroom after Xmas but have noticed that the floorboards that go under this dividing wall appear to be damp on the opposite side of the wall to the bath.

i have absolutley no idea where this is coming from, i have had the side off the bath and looked underneath and the floorboards are dry and the entire underneath of the bath is also dry. i can only think that maybe because the bath is cast iron and therefore always cold that when we get a shower\bath condensation is building up on the underneath and dripping onto the floor boards.

does anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this?

Sponsored Links
buy and fit an extractor fan and use it whenever the bathroom is occupied (this is easiest to arrange if it is triggered by the light switch).

it needs to carry on running all the time you are in the bath or shower, and for 20 mins or so afterwards. Remember the tray, floor and towels will still be wet.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/building:condensation_in_houses

However, you might also have a plumbing leak. This can be a drip, but from from a water pipe can be a fine spray.

Thanks for the reply.

i had another look at it last night and dried as muh as could with a hair dryer.

check this morning before my shower and was still pretty dry, had a shower and checked again 30 minutes or so later and it is all damp again. i am guessing that water from the shower is somehow finding its way down between the wall and the bath. i will be taking the side off the bath again this weekend and will spray water where the bath meets the wall to see if any is getting through.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back