Planning a bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I was hoping to get some help and advice on planning a bathroom. I should note this will be a first ever attempt, but im ok with DIY and have quite a lot in the way of tools, being competent enough to remove a radiator from pressurized system and cap the pipes and fit connections for a dish washer and washing machine. I know its not much but i think its enough to have a go at a bathroom, especially in the state the house is in.

due to access issues, ive had to remove the only bath in the house, this obviously means we are now without a shower and are going to have to shower at friends and such for a little while. So im going to have to get started on the bathroom much sooner than i thought i would.

here is an image of the bathroom as its stands for reference.

bathroom (Medium).jpg

what you are looking at is a removed bath and floor, a water pump shower (not required due to combi boiler) and and old sink Pipes currently come from a bedroom wall. About where im standing on my right is the toilet on the outside wall and on the left is the doorway. Ill probably do a sketchup plan tonight.

the left hand wall of the photo is a stud wall, the back and right walls are solid and plastered. The bathroom has always had leak and damp issues as there isnt much in the way of water proofing around the shower and bath.

currently the width of the bathroom is 148cm but i think there maybe 2 cm of plaster on the outside wall to the right.

my idea is as follows, an L shaped bath on the back wall spanning the room the shower part of the bath on the stud wall to the left, this leaves the run of the room for sink and toilet perhaps in a unit. I can then access the inside the studding from the other side in the hallway and run all the pipes and such for shower and taps inside the wall.

I was thinking of stripping all the plaster from the walls at that end of the room and replacing with cement board floor to ceiling then using a liquid membrane such as dunlop system to water proof the walls. the bath would be a 150 bath squeezed in wall to wall if possible.

Ive picked up that i can reinforce the edges of the bath with a wooden frame. i was also thinking about fitting a tap mount in the wall instead of drilling the bath, because ill have access to both sides and less risk of damaging the bath. The extractor fan will be above the opposite end of the shower in the vent and its 12v to be up to code. there are mirror electrics which will be moved to a new location.

A few questions.

Does the above sound acceptable?

The walls under where the bath was are done in a grey cement looking material thatch been pasted on, does this look like any kind of water proofing or should i remove?

2015-11-03 08.10.54.jpg

I was thinking about replacing the old damp bendy floor boards with new interlocking floor panels, so that the bath would be on a solid less movable floor i assume this is a must when tiling and and advantage to stop movement? are floor panels enough or would an even stronger material be an advantage like plywood? or should i cross baton the joists for more support?

if the bath wont fit inside cement board could i fit the bath and then run the cement board down to it leaving under the bath not covered? or will i be inviting more leaks that way? its going to be a very tight squeeze

Alternatively I could try to find a 140cm bath. I'm not sure what would be better to squeeze in a 150 bath or have to fill some small gaps in a 140 bath

thanks

Sponsored Links
Quick Sketch of the idea with bath measurements, had another measure of the room and its 150 wide 152 with plaster removed on outside wall, and its 270 long

NewBathroom.jpg

You don't need to remove plaster on solid walls, you can tile onto them , stud wall could have cement board on for tiling, if you need the extra room you could use a 6mm board, though 12mm is preferable, the floor will be good with ply , again you can overboard with 6mm cement board for tiling.Walls below bath don't need waterproofing, unless you intend the bath to leak. When you install bath run sealant around before and after tiling for an effective seal.

Sponsored Links
how thick should the plywood be for the floor? if im tiling the floor should i definitely cementboard / aquaboard above it?

if im tiling the plaster on the solid wall would it not be better to tank it or remove it and replace with cemend board? I assume plaster on walls would absorb moisture like plasterboard would?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back