Bathroom waste advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to move my toilet, bath, basin to new locations in my bathroom. The current pipework does not look like it has been designed or fitted very well and I don't wish to follow this poor level of work. To this end could anyone please advise me as to the following:-

1. Shared/Single waste connection into the horizontal soil pipe.

I intend to provide a separate connection for each piece of bathroom ware. Is this a good idea or should I be linking them all to one pipe then feeding them into the main soil pipe.?

2. Pipe sizes.

I intend to use 40mm pipes for the wastes on the bath and shower, slightly smaller on the basin. All these pipes will be less than 2m length before they enter the main soil pipe. Is this sensible?

3. Pipe fall.

What is a sensible amount of fall to put on the waste pipes?

4. Limits on connections into the same length of horizontal soil pipe.

Are there any limits/rules of thumb I should follow with regard to how many connections I can make to my horizontal soil pipe? Note that the soil pipe in question is only serving the single bathroom and nothing else(yes I only have one bathroom!). The soil pipe is located about 1 foot below floor level in the bathroom. It is 110mm diameter.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
="STEVEROG"]

. Shared/Single waste connection into the horizontal soil pipe.

Normally the toilet will feed directly to the soil pipe, you cannot tie in all of your wastes to one main connection on the soil stack.

I intend to provide a separate connection for each piece of bathroom ware.
Good idea.

I intend to use 40mm pipes for the wastes on the bath and shower, slightly smaller on the basin. All these pipes will be less than 2m length before they enter the main soil pipe. Is this sensible?

Very sensible.

What is a sensible amount of fall to put on the waste pipes?

Too much & you may lose your trap seal which means if you place your pipe work on too much of a gradient & other appliances when used, especially your toilet may suck the water out of other appliances traps.
There is a technical measure but I generally do it by eye ( professional). Take the height of your sink, bath etc & lead the waste into your soil stack on a gentle gradient. ( that sounded nice). ;) I use my spirit level & once that baby goes outta whack I pin my pipe to the wall.

4. Limits on connections into the same length of horizontal soil pipe.

no limits but you should be aware of cross contamination if you have your toilet waste too close to other waste pipe outlets.

No offence but you could pick all this information up from your local library & have the advantage of taking home the book ;)

Thanks for the advice and also no offence taken to you suggestion of getting a book (good idea).

Now I think I follow what your saying regarding too much gradient which I suppose could give rise to a sufficient vacuum effect so I will keep those gradients nice and shallow.

Regarding the cross contamination from toilet waste into other waste(s). Would it be preferable to put thilet waste as the last in the line so that it does not flow past any of the other outlets?

Steve

Sponsored Links
Would it be preferable to put thilet waste as the last in the line so that it does not flow past any of the other outlets?

Sounds very wise and practical. :D

STEVEROG said:
Thanks for the advice and also no offence taken to you suggestion of getting a book (good idea).

Now I think I follow what your saying regarding too much gradient which I suppose could give rise to a sufficient vacuum effect so I will keep those gradients nice and shallow.

Regarding the cross contamination from toilet waste into other waste(s). Would it be preferable to put thilet waste as the last in the line so that it does not flow past any of the other outlets?

Steve

your toilet waste should exit directly to your soil pipe. Without looking at your drainage situation it is impossible for me to advise any further.

The toilet WILL be connected directly to the 110mm soil pipe as you have suggested (using standard fittings).

One other thought regarding cross contamination from toilet waste into other wastes. I wondered if it would be a good idea to feed the 40mm wastes into the TOP of the 110mm soil pipe. Unless I am missing something here this would help prevent the very nasty toilet waste getting back into other wastes?

For info the set-up will be as follows

stack
venting
out of roof

[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
[ ] bath sink toilet shower
[ ] waste waste waste waste
[ ]_____||_______|| ______||_________||_____________| |
[_______________________________________________ drain |
|_______|

The bath, sink and shower wastes will all be at least 1.5m long pipes from the connection to the soil pipe to the trap on each item. I will try to get at least 1 foot between each waste inlet on the soil pipe. All inputs will be fed in from the top.

I may be able to move the shower waste before the toilet waste so the toilet waste is last in the line up but is this really necesarry?

STEVEROG said:
The toilet WILL be connected directly to the 110mm soil pipe as you have suggested (using standard fittings).

One other thought regarding cross contamination from toilet waste into other wastes. I wondered if it would be a good idea to feed the 40mm wastes into the TOP of the 110mm soil pipe. Unless I am missing something here this would help prevent the very nasty toilet waste getting back into other wastes?

For info the set-up will be as follows

stack
venting
out of roof

[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
[ ] bath sink toilet shower
[ ] waste waste waste waste
[ ]_____||_______|| ______||_________||_____________| |
[_______________________________________________ drain |
|_______|

The bath, sink and shower wastes will all be at least 1.5m long pipes from the connection to the soil pipe to the trap on each item. I will try to get at least 1 foot between each waste inlet on the soil pipe. All inputs will be fed in from the top.

I may be able to move the shower waste before the toilet waste so the toilet waste is last in the line up but is this really necesarry?

I think it would be a good idea to pay someone. ;)

Well I must congratulate you on your extremely asmusing suggestion that I get someone else to do the work. Maybe you might want to think about what you have just suggested given that you are commenting on a DIY fourm!

Hopefully its safe to assume that at least some of the work in any aspect of any trade or profession can be attempted by us non-professionals. Is that not why we have DIY and DIY forums!

Maybe a more helpful suggestion would have been to suggest that I got somone to inspect the proposed design and check it at the end.

Thanks again to all who provided useful positive input.

Still holding my ribs and guffawing loudly.....

Steve

STEVEROG said:
Well I must congratulate you on your extremely asmusing suggestion that I get someone else to do the work. Maybe you might want to think about what you have just suggested given that you are commenting on a DIY fourm!

Hopefully its safe to assume that at least some of the work in any aspect of any trade or profession can be attempted by us non-professionals. Is that not why we have DIY and DIY forums!

Maybe a more helpful suggestion would have been to suggest that I got somone to inspect the proposed design and check it at the end.

Thanks again to all who provided useful positive input.

Still holding my ribs and guffawing loudly.....

Steve

Calm down, it was a joke. You have been given all the information you require. I hope your bog leaks .:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back