bathroom waste pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I am redoing my bathroom and have gutted the place. My toilet/basin/shower waste is connected and there are three connections for each (see image attached). My problem I dont know which pipes to use to connect the waste for the shower and sink. I have some 40mm pushfits but the holes that connect them to the waste are about 50mm.
Any advice on this would be appreciated.

20121118135529.jpg
[/img]

Sponsored Links
What you have in the corner is called a manifold, with three 50mm connectors.
You can use any of them with a 50mm reducer down to what ever size waste pipe you are using.
With the 110mm bend stuck in the top of manifold, curious as to where your vent pipe is?
Regards oldun

So thats what its called! Thanks for that theoldun. The problem with this manifold is the sink/shower holes dont have a rubber seal. When I took the old pipes out they came out with ease because there was no real connection. Would it be worth getting a manifold that has a seal on it ?

Sponsored Links
As 896 said you can buy new seals, although at our age we never use rubber inserts now as we are to old to bother about getting the leg over.
Regards oldun :LOL:

Will need correct seals fitting. Otherwise job will never conform to regs and the room will stink of sewers! :eek:

I also share the oldun's curiosity about the vent, or is this a ground floor bathroom?

Thanks for the replies guys.

The bathroom in on the ground floor. May I ask what what a vent pipe is ? And what its used for ?

Also, I've been looking around for a reducer from 50MM to 40MM (pushfit pipe) to no avail. Does anyone know where I can find these elusive bits ?

I did spot the blue water supply, but never like to assume anything! Vent pipes are used to ventilate the drainage system, on a 2 storey (or more) building, the stack tees at first floor level to accept the WC connection, then continues upwards to above roof level to vent to atmosphere.

Do you require the reducers to fit the manifold? Manifold looks like it may be Terrain, but if you could find manufacturers name on it, should be able to link you to correct parts. If not then hook the entire thing out and fit a new manifold.

Terrain is a manufacturer of plastic pipes etc, the colour of your manifold etc looked not dissimilar to Terrain. (Slightly different shade of grey!) Manufacturers name and part number is usually moulded into the fitting somewhere, usually on the socket.

Some soil pipework is solvent welded, but underground drain should be 'push fit', i'd be confident that manifold will just pull out. (Twist it side to side whilst gently pulling and it should come out.) Lubricate the rubber seal in the socket of the drain in the floor before attempting to fit the new manifold, (the item in the link is what you need).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back