Bathroom wiring questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, a few probably dumb questions, but its always the simple stuff that isn't explained properly anywhere, and I wanna make sure I get things right.

1 - Earth Bonding

So far I've bonded all radiators and pipework together... How do I link to the main earth for the house? Do I connect the earth bonding into the shower's earth terminal, or run an earth to the consumer unit, or both?

2 - Connecting Shower To Consumer Unit

Should be fairly straight forward as I am just swapping the old 6mm cable and uprating the MCB. Can I do this and open up the consumer unit just by switching off the main switch on the CU, or do you need to isolate the supply by pulling the main fuse or something?

Prize goes to the first person to post "If you don't know that, you should call an electrician" :)

Thanks,
Andrew

Sponsored Links
zetecuk said:
1 - Earth Bonding

So far I've bonded all radiators and pipework together... How do I link to the main earth for the house? Do I connect the earth bonding into the shower's earth terminal, or run an earth to the consumer unit, or both?

The protective conductors (the 'earths') of all power and lighting points within the bathroom zones must be supplementary bonded to to all extraneous conductive parts (all that pipework)

So, yes, you should take your supplementary bonding into your shower's earth terminal. And the earths of any other equipment, including lights that are in the zones. If the earth cable is mechanically protected (e.g. behind bath panels/in trunking/run in stud wall etc, you can use 2.5 sq mm, but otherwise it should be 4 sq mm. (You should be using 6491X cable, often referred to as 'X' grade)

zetecuk said:
2 - Connecting Shower To Consumer Unit

Should be fairly straight forward as I am just swapping the old 6mm cable and uprating the MCB. Can I do this and open up the consumer unit just by switching off the main switch on the CU.

Yes. But all the usual caveats about making sure everything is actually 'dead' before working on it apply. If you don't have a voltage measuring device like a multimeter, then get one before you proceed further.

Hope that helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back